Need Help 1227748 ANMD Datastream $A98 - Newbie

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

renegade1966

Need Help 1227748 ANMD Datastream $A98 - Newbie

Post by renegade1966 »

Hi All,

I am new to this software and would like to log the data for my 1990 Chevy Cavalier with 2.2L 5 speed.

The ecm has the following markings.

1227748 ANMD
mb12576282

The prom chip has i believe ATXC marked on it.

I believe the proper datastream is $A98 but do not know where to start.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

didn't you see my thread for ADS requests?

oh well, do you want to learn how to make them or do you just want one?

and i'm not sure what you mean when you list 2 different broadcast codes...
renegade1966

Post by renegade1966 »

I did see your other post but though it was just for requests. I have always like to learn new things so it would be nice to know how to create the needed files.

The codes i provided are all the numbers on the actual ecm module.

Some of the numbers were written on the unit in yellow ink which suggests the unit was replaced at some point.

The White Sticker lablel shows 1227748 on it. I figured the code on the eprom was the checksum. I got the $A98 from a file ALDLstuff which lists the 2.2L 4cyl TBI for 1990.

I am having some intermittent idle problems with the car and it will need a new e-test this year which it failed the last time. So I am trying to be pro active and get some loging done primarily to find out why it started to fail the etest.

I have the USB OBD1 aldl cable from OBD DIagnostics and i have a manual and computer based eprom programmer and homebrew UV erasure. I am sure i probally have a drawerfull of eproms in my old stock.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

ok, in that case i guess i can make a guide...

and A98 was correct. its good that you already have the cable.

the only issue is that i don't know of any ECU or XDF files for your codemask, which is $70.

i sent the ADS file i made to mark, so it should probably be on the downloads page in the morning.

as far as ECU/XDF, i'm assuming since you don't know how to make a ADS, you wouldn't know how to make a XDF either. thats the only thing stopping you from being able to tune it.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

ok, good news i guess, i was looking throuhg some of my info, and the 1227748 was used with a few codemasks. most were older than the $70 you are using now, but they either didn't have ECU/XDFs made or i don't have any BINs for them.

now $48 i have both BINs and a XDF for it, meaning if you want to tune that car with the original ECM, that would be the route to go. i could make some educated guesses at what would get the motor running well enough for someone else to take it over.
renegade1966

Post by renegade1966 »

robertisaar wrote:ok, good news i guess, i was looking throuhg some of my info, and the 1227748 was used with a few codemasks. most were older than the $70 you are using now, but they either didn't have ECU/XDFs made or i don't have any BINs for them.

now $48 i have both BINs and a XDF for it, meaning if you want to tune that car with the original ECM, that would be the route to go. i could make some educated guesses at what would get the motor running well enough for someone else to take it over.

thanks for the help i think i need to get a different cable as the software will not recognize the one i purchased.
renegade1966

Post by renegade1966 »

I got the system running with my cable so i can log the data now.

What do i need to get for actual tuning.

I have an eprom programmer and an extra 27C128 eprom chip with the GM ATXC 7720 prom file loaded into it. I am using the Willem Programmer version PCB35.

I can provide a copy of the bin if needed.

Just wondering what the steps are to create a proper XDF file.

thanks in advance
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i don't know much about the willem other than it is EXTREMELY versatile.

to program a 27cXXX chip you'll need a UV eraser

its much faster/easier and a lot less likely to end up with a worn-out chip if you use a flash chip: 29XXX, like the C2 at moates, that would be perfectly fine.

creating a proper XDF: thats going to be tough, since there are no hacs or disassemblies that i know of for the $70 codemask. i can probably find you the main spark and fuel tables, but thats about it. the rest is too hard to find without the vehicle being here, or disassembling it(which i do NOT know how to do).
renegade1966

Post by renegade1966 »

I have a uv erasure already will check out the suggested chip at moats.

Do you know of any guides to dis assembly of the bin. I guess the first thing i will need to know is what processor they are using in the ECU. I can get the instruction set from it. My base programming background is with machine code on the z80 and 8080 so i am sure i can get it dissasembled if there is a guide on where to start. I also have the Alldata software which may shed some light.

The vehicle is not running at this time, i had some water come thru the blower housing due to the drain ducts being plugged. I beileve the water got into the old ecu so I am waiting for a new ECU to show up from Partsource. I did keep the prom from the prevous unit. The car started exhibiting a failed start or backfire then i would need to let it sit for awhile before it would start again. This started after i saw water on the floorboards on the passenger side. I was watching the flag window and on the old ecu i would get a blast of multiple errors (5 to 10 at a time) that would clear shortly after.

One thing i am not sure about on the replacement ECU is that my car is a 5 speed manual tranny I am hoping there are no options that need to be changed in the prom that comes with the replacement. I could just swap the chips out but i am tracing a trouble so i would like to try the new ecu as is first.

Looks like the software is going to work for me so i guess its time to get off the trial version so i can get the logging features workiing.

Thanks again
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Replacement ECMs do not usually come with a MEMCAL.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

you can log without registering..... thats one of the great things about TP, mark didn't block off anything to the unregistered users, just has the 10 second delay in the beginning.
renegade1966

Post by renegade1966 »

Iam glad i kept the memcal from the old but Partsource did not mention that fact so it may come with a memcal when you are getting and OEM replacement.

I will have to check the software as i though it was giving me an error when i tried to log the data. Still going to purchase the software regardless.
rick0909

Post by rick0909 »

Sorry to jack your thread but I can't figure out how to datalog with TPRT.
I have a cable that I use with Freescan on my car (92 cavalier 3.1l), will that cable work on my friends 91 cavalier 2.2l? If so what would I need to download to be able to datalog? I can't even figure out what to do with the .ads file on the downloads page(just opens a new window). Noticed there isn't an xdf or bin available.

I'm not looking to tune or anything. Just need to be able to datalog. I have a high dollar scan tool available to me that will not communicate with the car. It is having mutiple problems. Too rich, idle too high, on and off engine light etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

if you can't even get a scan tool to read it, then that problem needs to be dealt with before TP can be used...

everyone seems to be having problems connecting to their datastreams lately, and i'm not sure why...
SB406

Post by SB406 »

How did this work out for you?
I am getting a harness from an 88 Fiero 2.5L to use on my next project (VW Air cooled). From my research, it looks like the ECM will be a 1227748. I can't find any pinouts or definitions to modify the bin. Only thing I can find is the .ads on Tunerpro main site. Anybody Know of an .xdf or a hack? If not, what is a good candidate ECM to repin this harness for?

I am used to the 1227747 truck ECMs, but those use 2 injectors instead of 1. Not sure if I can make one of those work.?

Thanks for any help.
Mike
SB406

Post by SB406 »

Anybody?

Can I use a disassembler to work backwards from a bin file, or is it not that easy? I'm used to reading hacks to modify my xdf files, but haven't found a hack for the 1227748.

Thanks,
Mike