TunerPro + Ostrich + Maf Translator Pro ?

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

KaliE36

TunerPro + Ostrich + Maf Translator Pro ?

Post by KaliE36 »

Hello,
I'm a TunerPro RT user since last 12M and very pleased with this application.
The application is used in conjunction with Ostrich2 cip emulator, hacking a Bosch Motronic 3.1 403 ECU (used in bmw 325 engines)
the engine is turbocharged (7psi), and, up to now i've used the stock MAF, scaled with a 800ohm resistor
now I plan to increase the pressure up to 15psi , but, I assume that the stock MAF will be completely out of range ...
so, I plan to start to use the MAF Translator Pro device, replacing the stock MAF with a MAP sensor ...
anywone used before these devices togheter with Ostrich devices ? there are some inconveniences in using both devices in the same time with the same Tuner Pro RT application ?
Any input on this will be very valuable, thank you,
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Can you post a link or more information on the MAF translator?
KaliE36

Post by KaliE36 »

http://www.maftpro.com/tproinfo.shtml
and it seems that this device is using also TunerPro software ... actually, this device is included in TunerPro emulation devices list
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

Changing to a speed density set up is a backward step IMHO and is harder to tune than a MAF based set-up when running forced induction. Why not buy a MAF with a great flow capacity and adjust your ecu's MAF transfer curve to suit?
KaliE36

Post by KaliE36 »

well, the M50 used engine is hardly modified , achieving 225HP NA and 325HP at just 7psi ...
increasing boost level to 15psi, I assume that the power will exceed 400HP, requiring an airflow of more than 40Lb/m
please, can you indicate me a MAF unit that can read this airflow?
in the previous turbo setup, I've used a 325 MAF element inserted in a 100mm tube (stock is a 76mm tube) and a 800ohm scaler ... was worked pretty well , but , after about 5000miles the MAF sensor was damaged (i still don't know why .. maybe because I've blown trough ..)
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

A Lincoln Mk8 MAF would probably do and have a little bit of headroom. People tend to have more problems with blow through than draw through configurations.
KaliE36

Post by KaliE36 »

what about PMAS "blow-through" MAF's ? by example, this one:
http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.ph ... &parent=29
in this product description they tell us that this is a 6 wire MAF and can be used by Ford ECU's ... that i don't know so much about ...
here is my biggest issue ...
first, the Motronic 403 ECU works just with 5 wires "hotwire" MAF style (I don't know if ford are using the same style, and the stock bosch MAF works in a range between 1.4v - 4.8 v ... I don't have a problem with the upper limit of 4.8v (in the worst scenario, if this limit will be achieved , the MAF can be scalled ...), but I don't know actually how to increase the voltages, if this MAF will indicate 0.5v at idle ...
any input will be appreciated,
Bogdan
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

I do not know anyone who has had experience of the HPX so I am afraid I cannot comment. Ford MAFs tend to run from 0.5v to 4.8v but you do see transfer tables outside of these ranges too.
KaliE36

Post by KaliE36 »

ok, thank you ...
it seems that I will have a little problem here using any kind of Ford MAF's ...
Late OBD1 BMW's Motronic 3.3.1 ECU's using 413 DME are also using a 0.5-5v MAF as Ford, and for these is there a lot of options for replacement (especially a wide range of Porsche's MAF's)
i think that the Translator Pro can be used for scaling this kind of MAF's , but, the setup will be a little bit expensive (400 MAFT Pro + 300 HPX unit = 700 ... )