Newbie here with a few questions about getting started

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

ehjorten

Newbie here with a few questions about getting started

Post by ehjorten »

Hello my name is Erik. I have been reading a bit about TunerPro and .bin files, .bin definitions, and the like.

I have a 1991 Chevy V3500 with a TBI Gen V 454. I would like to be able to data log my engine and transmission and eventually play around with tweaking the .bin.

I have heard from some people on other forums that there is not a .bin definition for the TBI 454 with the 4L80E transmission. I am not sure of the particular code mask or ECU number right now, but that is what I have heard.

I have read Mark Mansur's article on the Basics of creating an ECU file (or any definition file) from a hack. My question now is how do I start going about breaking down the code to get to a definition file? How have other hacks been created? This I haven't read about.

I am a Mechanical Engineer and also work with a bunch of EEs, so I have pretty good knowledge of electrons and if I don't know something I have pretty good resources. I have also played around with several aftermarket EFI systems, but never hacking OE stuff.

Anyways...can someone help this Noob with getting started? I know I need an ALDL cable, but as I said, I think I need a definition file before I can read anything off of my ECU.

Thanks in advance for any help!
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Need the numbers off your PCM. 454 with 4L80E in 1991 should be $85 mask and 138 ADX for engine or 177 ADX for trans.

Wish I knew how to answer the rest of your questions! Then I could do that to...
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
Form of Life

Post by Form of Life »

I could also use some help figuring out my .bin. but I think I won't accept thehelp thats been offered. :o Thats how the kool kids do it.
Iggy Pop's face scares me so does Tom Petty I'm noticing a theme.
<a href="http://www.wholesaleinsurance.net">Term Life Insurance</a>