Emulation Moates Ostrich 2 Help please

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Glenno

Emulation Moates Ostrich 2 Help please

Post by Glenno »

1) I currently have the emulator connected and have been able to seemingly download a file to and from the emulator. I was hoping to be able to open the file I downloaded from the emulator in order to see it but can't seem to find it or open it?

2) MAJOR NUISANCE: Once I start the engine and let it run for a minute or two and then shut it down it won't restart? It has to cool down completely before it will start again. WHAT WOULD CAUSE THIS?

3) Can you recommend a bin file that may help my engine to run better initially? The engine is an older 350 Chevy with a bit of a cam, decent flowing heads, and headers. It is also a manual shift. With the current
bin the idle is very high and the mixture seems very rich.

4) HOW DO I LOWER IDLE SPEED? Please be specific.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

For us to be specific, you need to be too. ;)

Different codes have some unique tables and settings in them.

Because I know you're using a '7427 on a TPI/MPFI configuration, I can help a bit.

You need to start by setting the cyl count, CPI/PFI bit correctly, and trans type/trans settings correctly. Once you get those items set, you will be able to see the engine respond closer to how it should.

The most likely reason for the engine needing to cool down to re-start is because of the above settings. The engine is likely running way rich, and then at warm re-start, flooding itself. Holding the throttle open to enable clear flood mode may help, but getting everything set properly first is a better way to deal with it. The idle speed may also come more in line this way. Adjusting the idle speed tables at this point may work against you later, once the other parameters are set, to make your engine run the way it should.

I still can't fathom why the guy that sold you this system would use that particular ECM for you set-up.
Glenno

Post by Glenno »

Six_Shooter wrote:For us to be specific, you need to be too. ;)

Different codes have some unique tables and settings in them.

Because I know you're using a '7427 on a TPI/MPFI configuration, I can help a bit.

You need to start by setting the cyl count, CPI/PFI bit correctly, and trans type/trans settings correctly. Once you get those items set, you will be able to see the engine respond closer to how it should.

The most likely reason for the engine needing to cool down to re-start is because of the above settings. The engine is likely running way rich, and then at warm re-start, flooding itself. Holding the throttle open to enable clear flood mode may help, but getting everything set properly first is a better way to deal with it. The idle speed may also come more in line this way. Adjusting the idle speed tables at this point may work against you later, once the other parameters are set, to make your engine run the way it should.

I still can't fathom why the guy that sold you this system would use that particular ECM for you set-up.

Thanks for responding. I'm still way behind the curve here. How do I fix these issues, "start by setting the cyl count, CPI/PFI bit correctly, and trans type/trans settings correctly" Is there a place to read about these things? Is it as simple as a change in the TunerPro program? A manual that explains what each one is and does?

When I'm looking at TunerPro I can't figure what does what with all the flags and other settings. They don't seem to have names that make it clear to me what each one does. It seems very confusing and I'm not sure what to try to change or what to change it too.
Thanks again.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

This is where the onus is put on you to do some research, and find out what the different tables, scalers and flags do. Many are easy to figure out just from the names, some are not, but usually you don't need to worry about those ones.

There are some good XDFs out there for the $0D code that in the notes tells you how to set-up an $0D bin for either manual or non-electronic trans.

Cylinder count should be ok already, but should still be checked to make sure.

The CPI/MPFI bit needs to be set to make sure the injector firing is correct for MPFI and not TBI, like the bin is originally set for.
Glenno

Post by Glenno »

Six_Shooter wrote:This is where the onus is put on you to do some research, and find out what the different tables, scalers and flags do. Many are easy to figure out just from the names, some are not, but usually you don't need to worry about those ones.

There are some good XDFs out there for the $0D code that in the notes tells you how to set-up an $0D bin for either manual or non-electronic trans.

Cylinder count should be ok already, but should still be checked to make sure.

The CPI/MPFI bit needs to be set to make sure the injector firing is correct for MPFI and not TBI, like the bin is originally set for.
I've been trying to research things but I'm not finding concrete answers to many things. For example I read and re-read the Moates information about the Ostrich 2 and can not find anything that talks about the two switches on the side of the unit and what the do? So I already I'm not sure if that is even correct.

Even though you helped me to get the hard ware connected there are no perceivable changes occurring as I as I apparently make changes in the TP program. I make changes and the I unload to emulator and nothing seems to change. It shouldn't be this hard to do. I believe I have bigger problems then you think.

I will research the terms that you listed and try to find where you check and un-check them in the TP program. Is there a scaler, a flag, or table that would richen the mixture and one that would lower the idle rpm? A name maybe that I should be focusing on?

You were right about the no restart condition. I held the throttle open and it does restart even when hot.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I have seen many discussions of the switches on Ostrich 2.0, there is also the Moates FAQ/help site, that you can access throug the main page at www.moates.net.

The switches are for setting up how many pins are being used in your application. In your case both switches should be set to 28.

www.thirdgen.org has a forum called DIY PROM, that is an excellent source of tuning and parameter definitions and what they do for many different masks.

I would suspect that the reason you're not seeing any changes yet, is mostly based around the fact that the bin is still set for TBI mode, and needs to change to the MPFI/CPI mode, in order to change from injection on every DRP to every other DRP. Get the fueling parameters set first, to match the hardware you have under the hood, then start tuning.