Tuner pro V5 - Removing O2 sensor and cooler temp low idle

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

sevillle1978

Tuner pro V5 - Removing O2 sensor and cooler temp low idle

Post by sevillle1978 »

Guys/Gals,

I know what I want to do, but I dont know yet how to get there.

I have computer from 1993 GMC w/350 CID. I have downloaded E6 defs for the 1668625 ECM.

I plan to purchase a ALDU1 cable and Ostrich 2.0. This is needed from all that I have read.

What I want to do...

I want to remove the O2 options, and set low idle to become active at around 115 degrees F. I am putting this into a boat and need idle to set at this temp because they dont get above 130F at running temps. I need to remove O2 because this is difficult to put into a boat and not really needed.

Is above hardware adequate to make changes to PROM or do I still need a socket ? I have been told I need both. Also, once in the program, what do I need to do? I have been in the defs and bin, but nothing quite matches what I think I am looking for. I dont know much about this, but keep learning as I read.

Thanks
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Without O2 feedback, it will be difficult to tune, even if it's just installed somewhere in the exhaust system for initial tuning.

You can set the closed loop enable temp to max, which should be 255*. This would eliminate the from using the O2 sensor, for fueling control. You may also have to disable any O2 error/CEL flags.

There should also be a table for desired idle vs temp that can be used to set idle lower at lower temps.
sevillle1978

Post by sevillle1978 »

Thanks, Six Shooter

I still am having problems understanding all of the nomenclature with this program.

1) When I open TP-RT, I see the parameter tree....scalers, flags and tables. I dont understand which of these are the ones that if I change, will change the prom once I get the ALDL cable.

2) If I get the ostrich 2.0 and the cable, do I still need a prom cradle to change things within the ECM?

3)The tables dont make sense to me......I look at the Temp versus Idle RPM, there are a couple of points that dont make sense. One of the points states that at 56*C, the RPM is 152. What does that mean?

Thanks,
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

It sounds like you have the wrong XDF.

What is the ECM service number and the BCC of the bin? The BCC will usually be a 4 letter code, that is printed on a sticker on the PROM itself.

Yes, you will need an adapter to use the Ostrich or new EPROMs. Knowing which ECM you have will help guide you in which one is needed.
sevillle1978

Post by sevillle1978 »

Thanks again SIX

ECM service number is 16168625 BDJW.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I don't have a copy of that particular bin, but the info I have says it's for an automatic, a 4L60E, so you will need to shut off a lot of tranny related things to get the ECM to play nice.

You might find a manual bin for that ECM here: http://www.eagle-mark.com/Forums/index.php

Even if it was a 4.3 bin, then you could at least compare the changes needed to run without looking for the auto tranny signals.

You will need a G1 MEMCAL adapter, from Moates to be able to easily use the Ostrich 2.0 or replacement EPROMs.

Using the $E6 XDF and bin I have I found no odd numbers in the idle vs coolant tables, of which there are 4 of those tables in the XDF I have.

They are P/N, A/C on and off, and Drive, again A/C on and off.
sevillle1978

Post by sevillle1978 »

Six

Again, thanks so much for your help.

I cannot find the bin for 16168625 BDJW. I have looked everywhere. I have checked thirdgen, moates, diy-efi and general internet search.

Any other Ideas?

Thanks,
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Pick up an EPROM programmer and read your MEMCAL. ;)
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Or save your money and just start with a manual bin that you can find on the Net. You aren't going to run this in a land vehicle anyway. =)
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I've looked for a manual bin for that code, and haven't found one yet. Wanna point one out to me? ;)

There's still one place I haven't gone through completely.

Besides, the programmer would be a good idea anyway to put just an EPROM in the PCM, once tuned, so that the Ostrich can be saved from the moist environment. ;)
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Then start w/ an Auto!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

hmm.... i only have one manual trans $E6 BIN, but it's meant for a 4.3....

BCPM.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Is it uploaded to the DIY forum?

It would be at least good enough to compare the auto to manual bins to see the changes needed.

I believe I have a couple V8 $E6 bins, they are just auto tranny.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

yeah, it should be on the E-M forums....

there are at least a couple 4.3 auto BINs as well for the same platform, so it should be realtively easy to compare/adjust.