Newbie - I have data from EPROM - now what?

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

neiloakley

Newbie - I have data from EPROM - now what?

Post by neiloakley »

Downloaded TunerPro, also downloaded the data from my EPROM. ECU is a Bosch Motronic 2.7 from a 1990 Vauxhall Calibra Turbo 2.0

How do I go about creating the defenitions so I can actually view the data in graphical form?

I dont mind if it takes a long time, but I really am stuck. I've read all the guides but it only talks about American cars for which the definitions already exist.

thanks

Neil
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

The task/art of reverse-engineering is not a simple one and is beyond the scope of what can be answered in a post or message board. Really, you'll probably need to find someone who has already done so (if that exists).

I'm not aware of any definitions for the vehicle you describe.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
neiloakley

Post by neiloakley »

how did you come to get the defenitions that are included in tunerpro?
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

You need to find out what processor the Bosch Motronic 2.7 uses and disassemble the code. If it's an 'off the shelf' processor finding a disassembler shouldn't be too hard, it's a different matter though if the Bosch uses a custom processor.

Then you need to examine the disassembly to identify the instructions and data parts. Tables are often found by recognising 'patterns' in the data. You won't know the function of the table but you usually can spot the width and depth of the table.

Constants and flags are more difficult, if you don't have a disassembly of a similar code from another Vauxhall car then the only way is to start breaking down the code into the various subroutines and labelling the variables you find. Perseverance is the only way with this one. Eventually you should be able to start identifying what routines manipulate which data and formulate ideas about what does what.

You might also want to take a look at

http://www.andywhittaker.com/Audi/ecu/index.html

This guy's done some work on a Bosch Motronic ME 7.1 ecu and it might help you.
neiloakley

Post by neiloakley »

cheers dex, something to be reading!

I'll absord it all and come back if i have any more questions!!

Cheers again