Another 16197427

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Cruzer Dood

Another 16197427

Post by Cruzer Dood »

Hi there, was at the boneyard today, and picked up a couple of TBI units and another 16197427 for a spare. This one has BHMD, as opposed to the BJYL on my 1st one. What does the BHMD tell anyone? Am trying to decide which on to use in my EFI swap. Is there much difference between to 2. So far I have gathered an Autoprom and acc, and a TT-1 WB for when it comes time to tune. Thanks, Al
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

You can read both MEMCALs, then use the compare and difference tools to see what is different between them.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

differences i can see:

according to caldata, the ECM for the BHMD is 16196395
BHMD is for a L03 while BJYL is for a L05
Cruzer Dood

Tag Info

Post by Cruzer Dood »

WOW, forgot about this post, sorry. The PCM with BHMD came out of a manual tranny 4x4 truck, and has 2 tags w/barcodes. Bottom one- Serv# 16197427 BHMD, stuck on top, and to the bottom of the first- Serv# 16195515 BHMD, has the red/blue connectors. Does this tell you anything? Thanks, Al
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

top tag has the part number for the PCM, while the bottom number has the part number for the MEMCAL.

technically, it's not a PCM, since IIRC, it would have had a third connector specifically for 4L60E/4L80E control... but i'm certainly not an expert on the late TBI stuff.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

robertisaar wrote:top tag has the part number for the PCM, while the bottom number has the part number for the MEMCAL.

technically, it's not a PCM, since IIRC, it would have had a third connector specifically for 4L60E/4L80E control... but i'm certainly not an expert on the late TBI stuff.
The '7427 is a "PCM". Tranny control wiring is in those two plugs. No third connector needed. I think there are some pinouts for the '7427 PCM on moates.net fileman for you to look at.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

hmm..... alldata keeps refering to both an ECM and PCM for the application...
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

robertisaar wrote:hmm..... alldata keeps refering to both an ECM and PCM for the application...
For a manual tranny it would likely be referd to as an "ECM", since there would be no transmission control, but is the same control unit, just with a diferent MEMCAL and obviously slightly different wiring harness.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

ok, this is odd.... i look up the 95 K1500 5.7 diagrams and i'm seeing 2 plugs if it has a manual trans, with the individual pins labeled A1-A12, B1-B12 and C1-C16, D1-D16...

and for the auto, i'm seeing A1-A16, B1-B16 and E1-E16 F1-F16...
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

robertisaar wrote:ok, this is odd.... i look up the 95 K1500 5.7 diagrams and i'm seeing 2 plugs if it has a manual trans, with the individual pins labeled A1-A12, B1-B12 and C1-C16, D1-D16...

and for the auto, i'm seeing A1-A16, B1-B16 and E1-E16 F1-F16...
Yes, most of the manual trans equipped truck in '93 and I think '94 had the '7747 ECM. Possible in '95 to have that as well, but thought that most were switched over to the later PCM by then. Also not very common to find a manual truck in those years.

Anyway, the '7427 is still only "2 plugs", just labed as A, B, E, and F. I have a couple sitting in my ECM box. There are also 32 pins in each connector (64 total), instead of the 36 and 24 (56 total) of the '7747.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

that makes sense then, why alldata would call it an ECM and it has different plugs than the 7427...
Cruzer Dood

Post by Cruzer Dood »

Let me ask a question then. The TBI system swap I'm doing, is going into a 3600 lb 4x4, running a 350, mild Comp 4X cam, and granny low 4spd tranny. I have the Moates Autoprom w/TP RT, am I better of starting with the BHMD or BJYL memcal? This is all new to me, I'm learning as I go along. My biggest fear is burning something up, would hate to start over. Al
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

well....neither of them are intended for a manual trans... not to say they couldn't be setup for it, but you would be doing yourself a favor if you started with a manual trans BIN.

but the only 0D BINs i'm seeing with a manual trans are 4.3s....
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

There are flags in the $0D bins for manual trans, non-electronc trans with VSS, without VSS, etc.
Cruzer Dood

Post by Cruzer Dood »

Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I tried starting it up yesterday, to see how it would run, It had the BJYL memcal, and the Hypertech chip that was in it when bought. Had my Autoprom and laptop hooked up also. Being unfamilular with the Autoprom AND TPRT, I wasn't getting anything on the computer screen, other than being connected, and no ALDL sign even though it was plugged into the ALDL, but like I say I still have to learn the in's and out's of these tools. Motor would run as long as you gave it gas, but there seemed to be alot of popping from the exhaust, didn't throw any codes. So now I " think " I need to download a $OD bin, an .ADS file, and a XDF file for starters, to burn to a chip? THEN go thru the constants, and flags to tweek it for how my combo is laid out ( manual tranny, etc )? Am I on the right track? Thanks, Al
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

You won't get any data displayed or even a connection until you open and ADS (V4) or ADX (V5). The ADS or ADX is what Tuper Pro RT uses to communicate with the ECM trhough the ALDL and know which byte means which value to be displayed.

I would remove that Hypertech chip, and use the emulation capabilities of the Auto Prom to be able to make changes while it is running and get it running like it should quickly.

You might want to just go through the bin with the proper XDF to familarize yourself with some of the variables that are available to be tuned.
Cruzer Dood

Post by Cruzer Dood »

OK, i downloaded the ADS and XDF files from here. V4, and V5 I am assuming are older and newwer versions of the same file program, depending on how new your equipment is ( bought everything this spring ) ? Six Shooter, in the last paragraph in your last post, are you talking flags and constants, or the whole ball of wax in a birds view? Also, this is probly a stupid question, but will it start and run without a chip in the PCM/Autoprom? On a different note, this is what I did to mount the chip/adapter. Instead of buying a G-1, I used the Hypertech equivilent that was allready in the PCM. There was an adapter simular to the black ladder looking connector on the Moates socket Booster 1.0. I added the Moates black conecter that was simular ( double stacked so chip would clear memcal ) and plugged my Ziff into that. Wrong approach? Thanks to you and Robert for your time/answers. Al