$4E tuning

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

34blazer

$4E tuning

Post by 34blazer »

with the tbi 8062 ecm. if someone could take a look at the mask.....im having trouble with surging idle when in open loop and its extremly hard to start when warm, i have to hold it at WOT to get it to start. cold starts are good and idling is getting better. INT's and BLMs are holding steady at 128ish. other than that, this is my first time tuning so my knowlege is awefully limited as of right now :lol: . thanks for any input!!
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

what exactly are you looking for?

and i assume you're using the 4E XDF i made(if you downloaded it from the TP downloads page within the last ~6 months or so it is most definitely the one i made)?
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

i downloaded it like 2 years ago when i first got the emulator, so it might not be yours. basically i adjusted the values in the VE fuel table and main spark table. i had to take the values down to 8 at idle. it stays in the 800-1200 rpm cell and 40-50Kpa. INT and BLMs are 128. im not sure what i can change for warm startup and cold idle surging so thats why i ask
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

definitely check out the XDF i sent you in that email, it has quite a few improvements over all of the ones i had previously encountered.
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

ive also noticed there doesnt seem to be any way to disable open loop in this xdf. is there a way to add that feature? id like to put it in closed loop soon after the O2 warms up. also seems like there is not much options to tune in open loop either? TIA!!

*edit* nevermind i just found yours saar, looks like you added a bunch of stuff to it lol. i can keep the same bin ive been using right?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

yeah, i made that one from scratch... took a few hours, but i believe the results were worth it.

and you can use your current BIN or start over, it's your call.
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

is there a way i can extend the VE and Main Spark tables, or is that way too advanced for me? the solid cam i have has a cruise speed of around 3K and the tables only go up to 3200. id like to see if i can get them up to 4K? also, anyone have a link to some of the table/settings? i know the basics but i have no idea what all the other settings are supposed to do, searching one term at a time yields some sketchy search results. thanks!!
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

see, that's the kind of knowledge only someone who's fluent in assembly code can do. i'm working towards that skill, but i'm not even close. i'm sure a few people on TGO would have some answers, but if the portion of the algorithm that deals with that isn't on the 2732 chip, i don't know if you could do it.
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

forgot i had this link saved in my fav's from a few years back, knew i might need it someday. since i have a pretty aggressive cam with a 300 duration, my idle needs some serious fine tuning. i noticed that the 747 ecm uses many different parts to control the idle logic. are these present in my bin? or do they have to be added? i also noticed when shifting thru the gears the follower doesnt retract the iac to bump the rpm's in between shifts. thanks!

http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/papers/747iac.txt
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

AFAIK, 4E is VERY similar to $42 in a lot of respects(kind of like what GM did with the 6D, 88 and A1 masks) in that it is almost an updated mask. the IAC not opening up when you lift the throttle is likely just a calibration issue. i don't know a lot about the TBI masks, but i would think that at least one of the throttle follower tables would be of use here.
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

yeah thats what i mean, i dont have that in myxdf. id like to see if that could be added?

*edit* i also have a 747 sitting here if i need it. but craig moates told me thye are almost identical in the code and its plug and play with my tbi setup, no need to switch the harness
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

odd... i just looked through my XDF and didn't see anything for it... i could have swore i made it as complete as i could. maybe i'll have to go back through it again.
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

well its light years better than the one i was trying to use before :lol: thanks!!
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i just looked at all 3 disassemblies of 4E and actually can't find any more throttle follower stuff than what i already added...

maybe i'm blind, but if you can find it in the hack and want it added, let me know.
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

maybe im the one whose blind lol. what are those followers called?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

34blazer wrote:maybe im the one whose blind lol. what are those followers called?
normally, anything like "throttle follower" in the IAC area of the BIN... but there isn't a whole lot in there.
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

yeah nothing with follower, just looked lol
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

for some reason it wont idle any lower than 975-1000 rpms. i tried decreasing the steps in the steps vs coolant table and brought the commanded idle down to 675. maybe because of the cam? also noticed with this new xdf and bin that there is some sort of throttle follower when i free rev it. it must be in the bin but not listed in the xdf? can that be added in? thanks :)
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

if you can identify it in the hack, i can add it in.

and is that idle speed when in ALDL mode? because there is actually a whole nother constant for that. there is also spark added in ALDL mode(which i suggest 0'ing if you haven't done so already).
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

well identifying the hack might be a prob for me since i dont even know where or how to understand it.

yeah i think im in ALDL mode since i have the cable plugged in :lol: didnt even think of that until you mentioned it. matter of fact, im an idiot. i saw the ALDL mode flag checked so yeah. going to start adjusting those constants now. thanks Saar

also, would it be a good idea to use the V5 in my case, or is that way to advanced for me?
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

got the idle down to 850 :D . new problem, i uninstalled tunerpro r/t last night and uploaded the newest V4 to fix the IO.SYS thing. now for some reason it doesnt connect to the ALDL even when it says it is. went back to using winaldl. any suggestions?

http://www.streetfire.net/video/cammed- ... 017169.htm
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

and you didn't uninstall any drivers or anything?

and newest version of V4 or V5?

i believe V5 was still having issues with a 160baud datatstream IIRC... not sure if that's old news or not.

port setup issues? i know on my laptop one of my ports repeats back anything that was transmitted, i think it's caused a "false connect" before..
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

the newest version of V4. since i uninstalled the other one, all the settings went with it. i cant remember how to set it up and i lost the setup cd in all the moves ive been thru(military).
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

yeah, i know all about losing stuff(mostly stolen though) due to constantly moving around for duty stations and crap...

it's been a while since i've used TP V4, but:

tools->preferences->aldl/emulation tab, select correct interface, open up windows device manager, see what COM port your serial port is(or see what port your USB adapter is assigned), select that in TP, leave the sample rate, click OK, press F4, click browse, choose the correct ADS for the vehicle, click select log file for recording/playback, choose somewhere and give it a name, yes create file, roll key forward, click connect to ECM, click record button after connection, drive, press stop, give it a name and you're done?
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

i see the rich/lean/mean O2 threshold is measured in grams/sec. since i dont have MAF, how do it interpret these values for MAP? im trying to clean up the idle characteristics with this cam. thanks....

*edit* nevermind, i need to read more before i ask a stupid question :lol:

http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/papers/747fuel.txt
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

OK, now i cant get any data from the Aldl in TP or WINALDL. is there a way i can test to make sure the extreme aldl is working? my laptop says its connected but i dont think it is. ????
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

bump. i downloaded V5 and i have no intentions on using it to datalog, id rather use winaldl. any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

would a faulty socket booster cause connectivity probs with the extreme aldl? sometimes i get the data to the laptop and most of the time it doesnt go thru.