Who Needs An ADS or ADX?

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

sounds like the EVRV setup. PM me your e-mail.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

updated the thread title to correctly reflect what i'm doing...

BTW: 88z24, ADS is done.
88z24

Post by 88z24 »

Thank you very much Robert! I've been pulling my hair out trying to get an .ADS file to datalog my car. The file worked no problems.

Thanks!!
wish

Post by wish »

I'm using the 42.adx file ad am having a couple of issues. One is that my temperature is constant on the dashboard. In scanning through the file it looks like there is a line in there basically setting the value to 11, which would closely correspond to the temp I'm seeing. When using v4 I was using a different adx and in that one the temp read backwards from what the engine would actually be doing.

Additionally I'm seeing huge TPS % settings as well, .71V is translating to 30+% when I'm not touching the gas of course.

Any tips on straightening this stuff out would be great. I've got some other odd data, but that has been with me for a while and I suspect a connection issue (4.34mV on the O2 sensor in the middle of the run for instance).

Thanks for the help.
Bill
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

42 doesn't output an actual %, that was somewhat of an estimation. but you need to adjust your TPS anyway. .71 at idle is way off.

4.34mV on the O2 is probably the O2 swinging, which is normal. if it stays there for 10 samples or so, then i would worry.

not sure what is with temp though, since that ADX didn't come from me. are you just using the ADS on the downloads page and converted it to ADX?
wish

Post by wish »

robertisaar wrote:42 doesn't output an actual %, that was somewhat of an estimation. but you need to adjust your TPS anyway. .71 at idle is way off.
Of course ... should it be at .99 or what ? I have the fun of not having actually installed this system, just working with it.
not sure what is with temp though, since that ADX didn't come from me. are you just using the ADS on the downloads page and converted it to ADX?
That is probably how I generated it, and the other one actually. I'm noticing it's using 392 as the minimum and -40 as the max in the setup.

Here's the temp section from the file as generated:

<ADXVALUE id="9" idhash="0x86F347BB" title="Coolant Temp">
<units>*F</units>
<packetoffset>0x04</packetoffset>
<range low="392.000000" high="-40.000000" />
<alarms low="392.000000" high="-40.000000" />
<digcount>2</digcount>
<outputtype>3</outputtype>
<MATH equation="11" lookupidhash="0xDE6A9E10" />
</ADXVALUE>

My theory is that the fixed setting is due to the ="11" bit, but I really don't know, I'm just guessing. The look-up tables look like I would expect with lower values giving higher temperatures. And 11 would give me near the 316 it is constantly reporting.

I'd post the whole file, but not seeing how to do that quickly, will upload it to a server if you need it.

Thanks,
Bill
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

the "11" is refering to the coolant temp lookup table.

the TPS shpuld be around .5 at idle, anything above that can cause driveability issues.

are you sure you're working with a known-good sensor? it seems odd that coolant temp would be the only thing that TP reports as being wrong. have any codes been set?

most foolproof way to tell if the sensor is good: hook a multimeter up to it after its been sitting for a while. get the ohm value and post it here.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

wish: i have a fix for you. you must have imported the ADS using an earlier version of V5 than the most current one.

the problem was that you were getting 11 in the conversion box due to the coolant temp lookup table being the 11th item generated. it should be an X, not 11.

so, either change that value or download the newest version of V5 and re-import, that should fix your coolant temp issue.
wish

Post by wish »

By coincidence I had left the X in the file when I just went out to try and start it. Sure enough it read 42&deg (yes, that's &deg F). I had checked the resistance on the sensor though and didn't have any values that I could get. I also probed the TPS to see what it was registering and could not find a steady reading, so I'll re-visit how to set that to be sure I'm doing it right.

As there is a new version I'll probably update to it just to be sure I've got the latest and greatest.

Oh yeah and research cold start theories a bit ;)

Bill
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

for fututre reference: in case something happens to any of the files here on the TP site, or moates, i'm posting an archive of them on TeraDepot, and will edit this post to include the link when i am finished.

EDIT: i'm doing this differently. i'm just going to post the link to the folder containing everything.

http://www.teradepot.com/robertisaar/27 ... ro%20Stuff

DOUBLE EDIT: i have uploaded all of my GM BINs, XDFs, ADS, and ADX files. any new files will also be uploaded there seperately or if i update one, i'll make a note of it in here and upload it to TD.

cool?
mmd8x28

Post by mmd8x28 »

If possible, I'd like to see an updated $DA3 definition file.. It doesn't appear to read trouble codes correctly, and it's very limited on trouble codes..

ADX format too, I use tunerpro RT 5 beta..
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

DA3 meaning 93 F-car LT1, right?
mmd8x28

Post by mmd8x28 »

Correct (automatic if it matters). Sorry I didn't specify it clearer, my bad, quite tired right now, haha..

I have a B-Body right now and it seems EE Auto doesn't have any trouble codes (as my code 43 doesn't even show up in TunerPro RT or ScannerPro..)

But I'm possibly getting an F-Body and trying to help a friends 93 Camaro right now as my scan tool broke, and need a way to datalog with trouble codes.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

according to the source files, DA2 and DA3 have the same ALDL stream... which is A172. if it isn't working correctly as is, either post here with EXACTLY what isn't working or email me and i'll see what i can do.
mmd8x28

Post by mmd8x28 »

Well, trouble codes are incomplete. It shows a code for left 02, but not right 02. It also doesn't have code 26, which is actually set on the ECM, but the definition doesn't seem to have it.

For mine, EE, no trouble codes are set at all with the file from tunerpro definitions download page, despite me having 41 and 43 in the PCM currently set. I tried another EE definition, more organized, but has zero DTC's even supported.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

in DA2:
13 is O2 left
63 is O2 right

44 and 45 are left O2 rich/lean
64 and 65 are right O2 rich/lean

26 is also in the list, mentioned as a QDM, though i don't know which one. i could probably figure it out, but everything you mentioned is there...

EE: there seems to be a bit of a display bug that i'm letting mark know about now.
mmd8x28

Post by mmd8x28 »

I'll have to try the DA2 file. On the DA3 file, only the left 02 showed up in item list, that was it..
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

mmd8x28 wrote:I'll have to try the DA2 file. On the DA3 file, only the left 02 showed up in item list, that was it..
but the DA2 and 3 datastreams are identical. the XDFs are definitely different, but the stream is the same.
mmd8x28

Post by mmd8x28 »

Then why is it I only get the following codes to see?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/ ... /codes.png

I don't see anything else.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

that's actually something i was discussing with Mark yesterday. there is a limit of 256 items in the item list view, it looks like when you converted from ADS to ADX, it left out quite a few.

click Aquisiton-Edit Definition-Item List Views, then delete the default view. create a new one, then add all the items you want to see, just don't pass the 256 limit, you'll need to creata a second list for that. Shift-click when selecting items to save a LOT of headache and time.
mmd8x28

Post by mmd8x28 »

But there's only 35 items in the list. And keeping it as ADS on the older Tunerpro RT 4 has the same problem too..
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i'll send the one i have to you then, either post your e-mail address here or PM it to me.
mmd8x28

Post by mmd8x28 »

ecuconnection

BMW

Post by ecuconnection »

Can you do anything for bmw?
www.ecuconnections.com DIY tuning forum
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Re: BMW

Post by robertisaar »

ecuconnection wrote:Can you do anything for bmw?
i'd like to, but there just isn't the information necessary out there for me to do it on any kind of decent timeframe. if someone already has hacked through it, then i could, but i can't spend that amount of time trying to get it done myself.
ecuconnection

Post by ecuconnection »

I just basicly want to watch my rpm live and that's it
www.ecuconnections.com DIY tuning forum
marcus454

Post by marcus454 »

Robert,

Thank you for all the awesome work!

I have been able to find my definition files and connect with the scan software (without using a usb adapter). I believe the files that I found may not be exact as I think I have a different transmission. Where would I find a post that tells me to "dump the code" and confirm I am using the correct definitions?

I guess the prom is represented in the bin files?

If I capture hypertrm at 9600 8 n 1 n and short the 10k for 5 seconds will that allow data to flow and be captured?

1993 P30 454 16147060
Prom 9108 3040 BAMS 5225 '13CF'
ADS 16147060_4L80E_A138_A177.ads
ADX converted from ADS
DS A138DS seems to be right
ECU ?
XDF 85.xdf from Moates.net 20090716
scan PROM ID 13CF

ECM OVERVIEW
------------
This ECM is a slave on a masterless ALDL. In other words, there is
no traffic on the ALDL, so when the tester is connected to
the ALDL it must initiate communications with the ECM rather than
waiting for the F0 poll.

The FAQ said there was an article coming with more information on some of this but if anyone is able to respond with any information to provide clarity, thank you.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

certain masks actually don't have that capability. if they did, i believe it would be refered to as a Mode 3 command. i know a FEW 94-95 PCMs are capable of it, but any older than that, and i couldn't say for sure.

shorting the line with a 10k resistor alone would definitely not be enough to tell the PCM to start transmitting data, i can tell you that much.

according to my interchange, BAMS should be a $D8 BIN. and i believe that mask was used from 1991-1993. after that, the 454/4L80 would be 0E or 0D, but i'm not too sure of that.
marcus454

Post by marcus454 »

THANK YOU for your reply Robert !
Midnightreaper

In need of a good XDF and ADX file

Post by Midnightreaper »

Hi I am looking for a good XDF and ADX file for ECM number 16159278. It is for a 1993 LT1 Trans Am. I am using TunerPro RT V5.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Re: In need of a good XDF and ADX file

Post by robertisaar »

Midnightreaper wrote:Hi I am looking for a good XDF and ADX file for ECM number 16159278. It is for a 1993 LT1 Trans Am. I am using TunerPro RT V5.
that would be DA3, which there are both an XDF and an ADS for on the definitions page. i wouldn't know how complete they are, but if they seem lacking, let me know.
Midnightreaper

Re: In need of a good XDF and ADX file

Post by Midnightreaper »

robertisaar wrote:
Midnightreaper wrote:Hi I am looking for a good XDF and ADX file for ECM number 16159278. It is for a 1993 LT1 Trans Am. I am using TunerPro RT V5.
that would be DA3, which there are both an XDF and an ADS for on the definitions page. i wouldn't know how complete they are, but if they seem lacking, let me know.
The XDF seems to be lacking and I tried to convert the ADS file to an ADX file with TunerPro RT V5 but it's not working. Trying to get it working so I can use the Histogram feature. Thanks.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

wow, the ADS is bare... haven't checked out the XDF yet, but there is a hack for it on moates, when i have time i can add to the existing one, but what is the most important stuff missing?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

for some reason, mark has a different datastream listed for DA3 even though it's identical to DA2... i have a DA2/3 with a custom dash, if you want it, PM me your email address.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

for anyone still watching this thread, i managed to get a website up and running.

www.robertisaar.co.cc

i WILL post updates there if/when they require it.
jezzb

Post by jezzb »

Hi, Do you by any chance have mefi3.adx for Mercruiser 7.4 MPI from 1998 please?

Thanks
Jezz
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

that's a bit out of my league.

unless you have a good idea of what the stream is supposed to look like and have in it, i have no way of even starting on it.
jezzb

Post by jezzb »

Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply. Will it help if I send you my current mefi.adx file?

Regards

Jesmond
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

jezzb wrote:Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply. Will it help if I send you my current mefi.adx file?

Regards

Jesmond
possibly. i don't know how much the definition changed over the revisions, but the more information the better.
jezzb

Post by jezzb »

Where can I send it please? My email is jesmond(at)hotmail.com

Change (at) with @

Thanks

Jezz
34blazer

Post by 34blazer »

im in need of an ads for the $4E mask, if you are up to it. im not too satisfied with winaldl, datalogs are not too in depth. let me know if you need anymore info, thanks! :)
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

34blazer wrote:im in need of an ads for the $4E mask, if you are up to it. im not too satisfied with winaldl, datalogs are not too in depth. let me know if you need anymore info, thanks! :)
actually

http://tunerpro.net/download/datastreams/4E.ads

that's been around for quite some time. i made an ADX as well, but i can't verify that it works. if you want that, PM me an email address to send it to.
coper

Still doing ADS files ??

Post by coper »

I'm looking for an ADS file for a 92 Cadillac Eldorado - I found the source file is the A095.ds, but I don't have a clue how to use it to create an ADS. I was web searching and found your thread here on TunerPro forum. Any chance you can sort it?

Cheers,
Robert
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

92 was the first year of the new body style... did they remove the BCM altogether at that point? because i can't find any BCM streams for a 92-up eldorado, and they usually have some fairly interesting info on them as well.

but the ECM/PCM stream won't be a problem at all, i should have it done fairly quickly.
coper

Post by coper »

92 Eldos don't have a BCM, the Deville kept it for all years with the 4.9. Let me know if there is anything else I can provide to help you out.

Cheers
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

hmm.... the 4.5/4.9 datastream is fairly small, i would have expected more from the eldorados.... oh well... i'll email it when finished.
neetronics

1226459 ecm

Post by neetronics »

Hello,

Do you have or can you build and ads and or an adx files for an 85 grand national. I also need an ADS built for A14.ds.

Thank You
Paul
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i'm sure both will be easy enough... but not tonight, 3AM is plenty late for me.

EDIT: looks like you did some work for me, the A14.ds IS the datastream for an 85 turbo3.8....
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

emailed :)

almost up to 3 pages!
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Hi Robert,

I need the .xdf and .ads files for a 1992 Chevy Lumina APV 3.8L (L27), VIN L, ECM 16141470.
I believe you had previously put this together as mask $5B4 for user gta324 on page 1 of this thread (Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:56 pm). While it was stated as such it would be data stream A163 [3.8L L27 (VIN = L) 1992 1,2,3 U van].
The companion ABS data stream file is A174 (DELCO/DELPHI ABS VI). I need an .ads file for that also. I am trying to track down an ABS fault. Used the same as your version of A246.

Thanks for your help,
Dave