LITTLE HELP ON FILE TYPES. DS, ADS, XDF.

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

fastline

LITTLE HELP ON FILE TYPES. DS, ADS, XDF.

Post by fastline »

Trying to get up and running here. As I understand it, an XDF file is a unique file to Tunerpro??

I have two trucks to play with: A GM/95/5.7/4L60E and GM/94/6.5 turbo diesel/4L80E.

I have spotted "ALDL" files or .DS files on the net. The 5.7 seems to be more popular but the diesel was only in OBDI format for 2 yrs so rather rare.

I would first like to know if the ALDL files I have are enough to get me data logging, scanning, and downloading my bin files and modding them?

I would also like some info regarding using the existing DS file and making it work in Tunerpro?? I tried to open one in there and it will not do it. I also changed the extension to ads with no difference. Just trying to get something up, right or wrong right now.

Can someone shed some light on terminology. Mask, Datastream def, def file, ALDL file, etc. A little confused right now.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

normal feelings trust me... we all start somewhere

.DS: the files you'll find in the ALDLstuff.zip acrhive. you can't directly use them the way you're trying to, but it will be explained later

Mask: the "layout" of the chip. there are lots of masks, each going to a specific application. example: 8D would be a 90-92 corvette/camaro/firebird with the 5.0 and 5.7L TPI motors. 8F is turbo grand prix, etc. there are some VERY modified masks out there(code59 is one, 8d is popular as well)

.ADS: datastream def, its what reads the information coming off of the ECM so you can understand whats going on. you read through the DS files to create these. takes a while the first few times, but it gets easy so long as you don't have to deal with multiple streams at once(more advanced topic).

XDF: Def file. its what is used to tune the BIN, it knows where the tables are located, and what to do with them. created from commented disassemblies or hacks.

BIN: the actual code thats inside the PROM inside the ECU. around the first 1/3 of it is actual things you can mess with to tune it. the last 2/3 is instructions for the ECU on what to do.

need more?
fastline

Post by fastline »

I would like to ask about mask IDs on the GM products. I have a BJYL and BMRL for 2 different ECMs. Now does this code tell me what mask ID to use by looking that up online or does that only tell me what tune parameters it is using?

Just curious because I am seeing some stuff that tell me the my 95 uses the $0D, some are $0E, and some are $0DA, etc. How do I know which mask is used?

It is my understanding that by that code, it designates the mask, and all tune parameters so if I found any other BJYL chip, it would be exactly like what I have. If there was even one parameter that was changed, it will have a different code???
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

the mask id is embedded in the code, usually at $08.

the four letter code (broadcast code) doesn't have any immediately useful information just from the code, but in TP, there is a difference command, and you can use that if you have another BIN that uses the same mask to compare the differneces between the two.

your BJYL is a $0D(or maybe a $0DA) mask. i don't have a BMRL BIN on my laptop so i couldn't tell you what mask it uses.

yes, even one very small insignificant change would get a new BCC.
fastline

Post by fastline »

How do you analyze the BIN for the mask ID? I tried opening the file in notepad but get jibborish. I tried to open samples in TP and they will not open. Probably some operator error here!!

So the BYJL might just be some tune parameters but may not ID the actual mask used?? If one ecm uses say the BJYL and I determine it uses the #0D and I go back with a new bin using #0DA, is that going to be a problem for the ECM?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

how to open a BIN and determine the codemask: if you already have the BIN selected, hit Control + H, that opens the hex editor, from there, scroll over to the right until you hit $08, that should show your mask. there are a few exceptions to the rule, but you should be safe.

no, the BCC does not identify the mask(unless you have them memorized for which BCC goes to which mask).

as long as the new BIN uses the same ECU as the old one, it should work. as long as new sensors(or something similar) didn't get added, you should be fine. in rare cases you might need to change the pinouts a little, but again in this case you should be fine.

feel free to send me a e-mail with a BIN and i can probably help a little more.
fastline

Post by fastline »

Thanks for the help. We wll go try to extract the bin and if we do, Iwill send it over for your review.

Thanks!
fastline

Post by fastline »

Hey, we are having problems talking to the ECM via diag link. Trying to data log and view data real time. Also tried woking with hyperterminal with no sucess. Have tried before without sucess. We are using an ALDL cable with 232 and a USB converter (F5U103). Not sure if this is creating problems but have been able to connect to plenty of scan software before with this setup.

Maybe a little help hooking to the vehicle either with tunerpro or hyperlink.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i really wouldn't bother with hyperterminal.

you have the correct ADS for the application right?

it seems there are a lot of people having trouble actually connecting to their datastreams lately...
fastline

Post by fastline »

What I have is a .ds file. The raw aldl stream. I had to select "all programs" to bring it in. Not sure if we can or need to change the extension to get things to work. It acts like it is trying to connect for a minute or so, then fails.

I think we may need hyper if we are to try and extract the BIN via diag port. Looks like we might have to send requests, receive back a few times to get it to dump.

I believe my file was found on the TP links. Is the ads and ds or problem? If we get connected, is there a way to send single commands like hyper to prompt the dump per the instructions you sent?

I would also like to ask if the 8192 baud could create problems here? Our Belkin usb emulator only has LI think 7700 then 9600 baud. 8102 is pretty odd. has always worked before but not sure with this software
Last edited by fastline on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

your issue is that you are trying to use a DS file as a ADS... the two are NOT the same. you can use TP to make the ADS from a DS.
honken

Post by honken »

BJYL = ECM 16197427 WITH 4L60E its $OD .
BMRL = ECM 16183977 MASK ????..........
With the ds you create a ads in tunerpro.
To see your bin with tunerpro you need xdf file fore the ecm.
To read aldl with tunerpro you need ads file or with scannerpro a adx file.
You cant mod the chip in the ecm without a promburner.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

You're also trying to do something that is difficult with the OEM hardware....

You are trying to retrieve a bin file through the ALDL connector on an OBD1 Delco ECM.

As said you need to use a DS file (open in notepad) and use the instruction set to create an ADS file for TP RT or ADX file for Scanner Pro.
Last edited by Six_Shooter on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

From what I undestand "mode2" is not available on all ECMs.

Even if it was, would you not agree that it is beyond the current abilities of the OP?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

just trying to point out that its not impossible with OEM hardware :wink: