Calculating MPG

For those of you brave enough to try the beta releases, please ask your questions and post your issues here! Remember, the more info the better!

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

cbernhardt

Calculating MPG

Post by cbernhardt »

I am using ScannerPro 5.0581 with an MEFI4a controller (GM Ram Jet 350 crate engine). I am able to read instantaneous fuel consumption in gallons per hour directly from the controller. There is also provision for reading the vehicle speed in miles per hour, but I do not yet have a vehicle speed sensor connected. Assuming that I could successfully connect a VSS, is there a way to create a new ScannerPro item that will calculate and display miles per gallon?

Thanks,
Charles
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

There is a calculation in Mark's $6E that I used in the S_AUJP V4 Definition. Either one can show you how.
If you make a constant for "injector size" you can do the calc.

It doesn't account for the voltage correction to PW done by hardware but is fairly close.
cbernhardt

Post by cbernhardt »

Thanks for the reply. I was able to successfully connect the VSS to my Ram Jet controller so I now have a vehicle speed reading. The controller already has a readout for gallons per hour, so all I had to do was create an MPG item that consisted of the vehicle speed divided by the GPH.

Charles