Need Ford Mustang V6 Bin and definition

Discuss Ford tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

mvrk10256

Need Ford Mustang V6 Bin and definition

Post by mvrk10256 »

I have a 2001 Ford Mustang V6 w/ a manual tranny. The code on the PCM is CHB2. i need a definition file for the car. I have spent at least a week crawling the internet looking for one. I am really in a pinch and i need some help.

If you have one or know who does, my email

maksim.vakulenko@yahoo.com
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

Your ecu uses the RTAI0 strategy. I have not seen a def for this but that does not mean there is not one out there.
dfddfd2

Post by dfddfd2 »

You might try Moates Upload/Download area.

Cheers,
Dave
mvrk10256

Post by mvrk10256 »

ok. Thanks, this is more information than i had before. so its a step in the right direction. The thing is i just turned 18 and i know a lot about cars, however my experience and knowledge are in the mechanical functions. and I know how to make my car mechanically faster, but im trying tol learn about computers in cars. So can you please explain to me what your reply actually means?
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

Think of the strategy as the being the program with the ecu having this program and the specific data the particular vehicle requires within it. Definitions are written for 'strategies' not individual ecu's which is why a definition can cover anything from one to over a hundred ecu's.
mvrk10256

Post by mvrk10256 »

Ok, i get that. thanks.

Dex, if you were a starving 18 year old college student trying to tune his cars ecu. and you were in my predicament, how would you proceed. where can i find this bin file?
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

I have uploaded a CHB3 bin to the Moates website up/download area. It is a RTAI1 strategy but Ford list it as the replacement code for your vehicle. It's all I have that is going to be closest to your ecu.

Unfortunately I think you are going to find it hard to get a def, I have had a look for one and had no luck either.
mvrk10256

Post by mvrk10256 »

Thanks a ton, I downloaded it from Moates.net and tried to open the file in both ECC editor and Tuner pro :D . Everything worked fine. However both o them refused to do anything, ECC editor asked me for an xdf file and I believe Tuner pro wanted one too. What is the difference between the bin file and .xdf file.... how do i go about getting or making a definition file?
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

A bin file is a copy of the ecu's rom whilst an xdf is a TunerPro definition file. The xdf is what TunerPro uses to translate the various data parameters from the bin file into a user friendly way for display and editing purposes.

pm'd about getting a def.
mvrk10256

Post by mvrk10256 »

so an xdf file is a specific Tunerpro file, that is necessary in addition to the bin? or is it created from a bin by the software?

I actually talked to paul booth, and he said for 50 bucks he would make one. Not having an extra 50 bucks i told him thanks but no thanks, but it seems that this is really the only way to go? so a def file is needed for both tuner pro and ECC or just ECC?
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

Different editors use different definition file formats; xdf's are the file used by TunerPro, the EEC Editor software uses a different definition file format.

Without a definition file any editor is not really much use, think of the editor as simply a tool to display the raw data in a user friendly way. Defs are created by reverse engineering the bin file so that parameters can be found. If you open one of the xdf's from the TunerPro download area and then press F2 whilst highlighting a parameter you will see the kind of information needed to translate the raw data into a user friendly way.
mvrk10256

Post by mvrk10256 »

So is there some sort of software that creates definitions? Or am i stuck trying to pay someone to make one for me?
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

AFAIK there is no software for the DIY tuner.
mvrk10256

Post by mvrk10256 »

So my only choice is to go the Paul booth guy and have him make me one? i wonder what he uses to code them up?
dex
The Ford Guy

Post by dex »

I suspect this is so unless you manage to find a def from elsewhere. I have no idea what he uses (other than years of experience doing this kind of thing :lol: )