Your gear v.whatdoyouhaveandorprefer

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Six_Shooter

Your gear v.whatdoyouhaveandorprefer

Post by Six_Shooter »

Well since my laptop died earlier tonight, just random, done, blank screen, dead, and then proceded to kill my other HDD, since I wanted to test if it was a lappy problem or a HDD problem....

Anyway, what do you have and use?

I (had) an IBM T30, I really liked it, two USB ports and one serial, just what I needed to use for tuning.

For tuning I have:
Ostrich 2.0
Moates ALDL Extreme
Innovate LC1
Tuner Pro (of course)
Willems Programmer.

So I'm looking for a laptop, that has 2 USB ports, and a serial port, or 3 USB ports, since I have a serial to USB adaptor that actually works.

Something higher than PIII, and faster than 1.3Ghz, with at least 512mb RAM.

What do you guys recommend?

I only had this computer for about 6 months. :( :( (bought used, no more warrenty).

The sad part is all the information that I hadn't backed up yet and have lost, due to the HDDs being dead now.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Come on guys, there has to be some suggestions or want to show off your gear. ;)
daveinet

Post by daveinet »

The big problem you will have will be trying to find a laptop that is running XP. Vista is the worst piece of junk any software company has come up with.

I'm running an Acer with 4 USB ports and cursed with Vista. It is a wide screen with the numerical pad. One thing I like about it is that it has hot buttons along the top for starting different programs. ScannerPro is programed for the second button. I also discovered that one of my USB ports will crash ScannerPro after about a half hour of running. Using a different port, it will run for hours. (This is in a motorhome, so the laptop is always on the dash running)
Dave
http://www.geocities.com/revconprince/index.html
502 Edelbrock/Howell MPFI Thorleys and Magnaflows - in a 13Klbs motorhome!

"There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Any of the laptops I found with XP, were either old stock, or Lenovo....

So I bought a Lenovo. R61i, widescreen, Duo Core 1.7 GHz, 1 GB ram, Dual layer DVD burner, built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, finger print reader, SD card reader, 3 usb ports, but no Serial or Parralel ports, so I had to buy a new EEPROM Programmer. (Willems TrueUSB).

So far I'm really liking it, especially the widescreen aspect. :)

The only issue I have is after hibernation, the network address doesn't always automatically update.
daveinet

Post by daveinet »

So how many dashboard items can one cram onto a 15" screen?? I see you going crazy on another post. I'm running a 17" screen, so I need to fill it up. I still want to play around with trying to layer gauges within gauges like pulse width and MAP.
Dave
http://www.geocities.com/revconprince/index.html
502 Edelbrock/Howell MPFI Thorleys and Magnaflows - in a 13Klbs motorhome!

"There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

daveinet wrote:So how many dashboard items can one cram onto a 15" screen?? I see you going crazy on another post. I'm running a 17" screen, so I need to fill it up. I still want to play around with trying to layer gauges within gauges like pulse width and MAP.
LOL, I think the limit gets to be how many can one really watch?

I think my 15" screen will be plenty large enough for what I'm going to need to watch, I couldn't imagine a 17", I would probably just make the gauges larger to fill it. :lol:

I tried with the gauges over laying one another. I had an idea to make a HUGE tach (100x100), and then place other gauges within the face, but when ever I tried to assign other values to the smaller gauges it changed the large gauge to that value, and then when I tried to then change the large gauge back, it changed all the smaller gauges to the same value.

there has been discussion in the Scanner Pro forum about multiple values or gauges being applied to the same gauge face, such as Desired AFR and true AFR on teh same face to see how close the tune really is. So far Mark hasn't implimented anything to do with that yet.