Erratic changes after using hex editor

Report bugs found in TunerPro. Please be sure to include as much info as possible, including system specs, OS, repro steps and TunerPro version number.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

PLANT

Erratic changes after using hex editor

Post by PLANT »

Hey Mark, I used the integrated hex editor to change 3 locations in my bin. I saved and closed out the hex editor then saved the bin with a new checksum. After finding out the chip didn't work compared the before and after bins instead of having 5 hex locations changed, there were 12 or 13 locations changed in addition to the 5 I changed. I don't think it is my OS install this time, but ya never know. 610F-6111 were the 3 I altered.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

I'll take a look. Thanks for the report.

(I really need to do some work on the hex editor... i put it in as a "temporary" thing until I had time to create a real one and probably shouldn't have).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Very strange. I can't seem to get this to happen. Using the hex editor, I just changed 3 values in a bin, saved a copy out, and compared it with the original. Only the 3 values I changed were different (plus the 2 byte checksum that was recalculated, of course).

Can you reproduce this every time? If so, can you give me step-by-step instructions on how to do it?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
PLANT

Post by PLANT »

Background, Win98 1st ed, tunerpro free 3.06, AUJP derived bin.
1. Open Tunerpro, autoload bin/ecu
2. Open Hex editor
3. Change any hex to any value
4. Save/close hex editor
6. Compare
That does it every time, and the values changed aren't random, they are the same no matter which location I manually change. I tried it on a 16k MAF bin and nothing happened, prob because the 7EEE and higher changed locations aren't present in the smaller bin.
PLANT

Post by PLANT »

Tried it on my XPed rig with RT and it didn't happen...
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

good information. so its win98 only issue.

i'll continue to look into it. Thanks for your help, Plant.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am