$51 - VS V6 Commodore

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

jacomms

$51 - VS V6 Commodore

Post by jacomms »

Hi guys

Ive been playing for a while with the $51 from a VS V6 Commodore and am getting through it slowly. BUT Im stuck on the VATS (security) I found what I thought was the security (VATS) but no joy. @ location 02011 binary data of 0010011 and from what I found 0011011 should have switched it off. Anyone got a $51 they are working on??.......slowly going mad!!!
jc58nc

Post by jc58nc »

Slowly going MAD!!!
I can understand that, I worked on $54 for an N13 Pulsar until my brain hurt !!
Swap cars to a Vr ute, do an Ecotec transplant with Vs wiring, now I'm doing it all over again!!!

If I can help any way please let me know.

Cheers Jeff C
jacomms

Post by jacomms »

HA!....Yeh I know where your comming from.....this is a ECOTEC into a Ford Econovan/truck (table top) for a builder mate of mine, he saw my twin turbo ECOTEC/GN Buick setup in my Econovan and thought it would be a good idea....well it is but I didnt use the VS system as I didnt have any software to play with. Anyway if you have any info Id love to add it to the XDF file I have under way. I did do a little sniffing around last night and found the on the VS the BCM (when the key is turned on) sends a string of data to the PCM and the PCM responds to the BCM then the PCM sends a string to the BCM and the BCM responds back, then the car starts....(Im just glad that I poped into the workshop for a quick visit last night and found a VS sitting there to be played with. The BCM sent - $F1,$58,$4A,$57,$42,$D4 and after responce to RX data the PCM sent - $F1,$58,$47,$44,$43,$E9. but as this was only a quick visit I havent sent this to the PCM from my Laptop yet, if it is a happy thing I will quickly prog up a PIC to do the job until I find the rest of the locations in the BIN. .......Past MAD and on my way round for a 2nd turn......

Justin
adrian

Re: $51 - VS V6 Commodore

Post by adrian »

VATS disable is at $3818 bit 3, $2011 is a transmission related option word
Adrian
jacomms

Post by jacomms »

thanks for that.....that makes a lot of sence now. How far have you gotten on your XDF for the $51?? Ive been playin with the Tech1 and grabbing the data for the BCM commands and the ECU test functions ..... will work a treat with something like EFI Live.

Justin
vsii_super6

Post by vsii_super6 »

can anyone help with disabling the transmission related fault codes? I'm doing a manual conversion on my super6 and keeping the stock pcm.

I noticed on the wiriring diagram there are two pins on the pcm for VSS (speed sensors) one for the inductive sensor found on the autos and another for the VSS found on the T5. My question is, can I just wire up the VSS of the manual to the right pin on the pcm or will the auto calibration on the pcm only read the VSS signal from the pin assigned to the inductive VSS.

hope that makes sense :?

Cheers,
Ben
adrian

Post by adrian »

I have some conflicting info but I'm pretty sure 3817 bit 0 is the manual trans option flag
Set it to true for the manual trans and it should eliminate your fault codes.
From memory when manual trans flag is set the speed input is taken from the hall input and not the inductive so you'll have to repin your pcm connector.

If you're planning to use the Getrag manual trans then you'll need set 3818 bit 7 to true as these used an inductive pickup and therefore the same input pin as the auto

Adrian
vsii_super6

Post by vsii_super6 »

thanks adrian, 3817 bit 0 tuned off the CEL :D but the VSS didnt work (tried setting 3818 bit 7 to true and false), i know the sensor is working because the dash function properly when I splice the VSS straight into the line from the PCM to the dash. PCM has been repinned so the VSS goes to D2

I tried comparing the auto bins to manual but i only have bins for the getrag (inductive VSS same as auto) 3818 bit 7 was disabled in both :?

Do you know of any other bits i can try?

Cheers,
Ben
adrian

Post by adrian »

Ben, I've seen this swap done 2 or 3 times and don't remember any problems with the speed input using D2.
Is the CEL reporting the speed error or is there a possible problem with the ADS your using??
Cheers,
Adrian
vsii_super6

Post by vsii_super6 »

I dont have an ads for the $51, tried making one from scratch while ago but it never connected properly, tried making an adx too in scannerpro but I think i'm missing something in how it works.

One questions, In manual mode does the speedo still get its signal from C5 and the trip comp from F7? I only managed to find the auto wiring diagram which has the manual VSS in dotted lines so I assumed the Speedo still got its signal from C5. Perhaps the dash is supposed to be spliced into D2 and get the signal straight from the sensor without going through the PCM.

Does anyone have a ads/adx they're willing to share or help get mine connecting to the PCM?

Cheers,
Ben