ScannerPro on DSM

For those of you brave enough to try the beta releases, please ask your questions and post your issues here! Remember, the more info the better!

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

nlewcock

ScannerPro on DSM

Post by nlewcock »

Hey I was just wondering if anyone had managed to interface this with a DSM yet. I can't for the life of me get this thing to connect. I'm fairly new to this stuff but need to establish a connection at a baud rate of 1920. Is this doable with ScannerPro? Also can someone explain how you would create a connection command. It seems like you need to write maybe a Data Request command but how do you determine the byte string?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Hello. Based one what I know about DSM, yes, it should be possible to use ScannerPro. However, a definition would need to be created. Can you point me to the DSM communication information? If so, I could write up a test definition to see if we can't get it working. :)
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
nlewcock

Post by nlewcock »

That would be amazing!!

here's the information I have managed to uncover

Main sensor addresses:
http://www.syndicate.evilsoft.org/proje ... tocol.html

Bit more info here...mostly just a repeat of above
http://mmcdlogger.sourceforge.net/#Protocol

I believe the baud rate is 1920, some have said 1953 but I know my palm logger uses 1920 and that works fine.

Thanks for your help,
The DSM community will be very appreciative!
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

OK, try this (just a test, not complete, as you can tell):
http://www.scannerpro.net/download/adx/DSM.adx

If it doesn't work, change the baud rate to 1920 (or 1953).

I assume communication is as simple as sending the byte representing the address you want dumped, and the ECM will reply with the byte from that address?

Let me know if it works, and if it does I'll complete the definition.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
nlewcock

Post by nlewcock »

I would imagine so with our ecus...

I'm going to test out the adx file in the morning. Thanks a lot for your help! I'll be sure to post back my findings

EDIT: just went out and tested it and when trying to connect it would just say unable to open port (COM8).

I tried changing the port in scannerpro and windows and no luck, I also tried both baud rates
nlewcock

Post by nlewcock »

any idea what could be causing this? or is there any more info you need from me? once I get the adx file to connect I should be able to complete the rest of the sensor info, its just connecting that seems to be the problem
nlewcock

Post by nlewcock »

Ok I got past the com port error. Now all it says is:

BEGIN MACRO
18.079: !!!!!!SEND COMMAND FAILURE (0x00000006)!!!!!!
18.289: !!!!!!SEND COMMAND FAILURE (0x00000006)!!!!!!
END MACRO
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Hmm, looks like the def is failing. I'll take another look when I get a spare minute. 0x06 is "reply incomplete" which suggests that the ECM didn't reply with the expected number of bytes of data. Since both commands expect 1 byte in return, I'm guessing the ECM isn't replying at all.

Did you try both 1953 and 1920 baud?

Sorry for the delay. I never got an email notification that this topic was updated.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
nlewcock

Post by nlewcock »

Yup I did try both 1920 and 1953 however it looks like 1953 is not allowed within the program as when you try to set it to 1953 is saves as 1952. I'm pretty sure its 1920 anyways as thats what my palm logger is set at and that works fine.

Thanks for your help!
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

nlewcock wrote:Yup I did try both 1920 and 1953 however it looks like 1953 is not allowed within the program as when you try to set it to 1953 is saves as 1952. I'm pretty sure its 1920 anyways as thats what my palm logger is set at and that works fine.

Thanks for your help!
Hmm, well I'm very interested in getting this working. For efficiency, maybe you can email me and we can go back and forth until we get it working?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Ravenous

Updates?

Post by Ravenous »

I would love to see this working, do you fellas have any updates? I am sitting here with my new ostrich and my girlfriend is getting me a WBO2 for Christmas. I think if some of the guys over dsmtuners caught wind of what is going on here they would be all over it.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

No update, really. What I need is to find a local w/ a car I can play with. :) Or get an ECM from one that I can hook up to the test bench.

-M
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
nlewcock

Post by nlewcock »

Sorry to bring back a dead thread but I finally got this definition to connect. My issue was the cable I was using to connect it to my laptop. Now that I have got it to connect, I seem to be having an issue actually reading data. Originally you had address the TPS and coolant temp with an arbitrary equation. When I look at the dash it gives a value but fails to fluctuate. I've tried other addresses for other sensors and those give another value but also do not fluctuate. Is it possible my usb to serial adapter is not fast enough? I've heard issues about this before. I'm also pretty confident its connecting properly. When I hit connect it rapidly shows a send/receive message at a rate of ~50hz. Weird thing is it stays connected even when the ecu turns off but as soon as I disconnect the cable from the serial adapter it drops connection. Does all of this sound right? Any suggestions?
kaxlon

Post by kaxlon »

you can try the ADX file for 1G DSM in the download section.
connects and logs fine, but dash and some sensors are showing bogus values. i haven't had the chance to try it on my GVR4 yet with working sensors, only on my ECU testbench. sensors will be fixed in the next update i hope. maybe someone else can fill in the gaps? ;)
.. KiM H .. aka KaxLon