Creating ADX files...

For those of you brave enough to try the beta releases, please ask your questions and post your issues here! Remember, the more info the better!

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Six_Shooter

Creating ADX files...

Post by Six_Shooter »

Ok, I am armed with TunerPro RT, that has a working ADS file for $42, Grumpy's (RIP) $42 datastream information, and Scanner Pro.

Almost enough to make me dangerous...

However....

I can not figure out how to translate the data I do have and know works into something that Scanner Pro can use.

I have began to understand the how the datastream works thanks to Grumpy's information and looking at the ADS editor in TP RT.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to use the info I do have to create a working $42 ADX. I can only assume that the packet offset is somehow to be used to use the correct Byte for the display I am tring to use. I don't see anything between the two editors that looks like it may be a similar value. If this is the case, how do I convert the Byte number into hex? Probably through a hex editor, correct?

Please help someone who desperatly is trying to understand and wants to help develope new defs and eventually even new code. I've been spending a LOT of time lately reading as much tuning info that I can find, thridgen.org has been a great help.

Thanks

*EDIT* It seems that looking at the ADX Header Data, 160 Baud is not supported by Scanner Pro and so my attempts may be futile? I hope not. :(
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Anyone? Confirm?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Anyone? I know there are people that can answer this....
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Six_Shooter wrote:Anyone? I know there are people that can answer this....
Email me (mark at tunerpro net) with an overview of what you want to do, what you know, applications, etc. I'll do what I can to help you, and leave it up to you to post your progression here. =)

I'm much more responsive via email, that's all.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Ok, I like to use forums, to seem not so pushy when I can, but I'll just e-mail you from now on. ;)
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Six_Shooter wrote:Ok, I like to use forums, to seem not so pushy when I can, but I'll just e-mail you from now on. ;)
For this one, anyway. =)

Feel free to use both, and cross post your progress for everyone's benefit.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Will do, shortly, trying to make my wireless network stable, and then I can worry about this stuff. ;)
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I haven't been able to verify this yet, but Mark has informed me that to use Scanner Pro on a 160 Baud ECM the baud rate has to be set to 4800 Baud.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Ok, so I'm bringing this back up, since I'm trying to finally create a working ADX for the $42 datastream.

I decided to get back at this because according to the Scanner Pro download page the latest build supports 160 Baud communication. :)

Anyway, I'm having a difficult time setting up the ADX, in that trying to transfer info from info from TP RT, to SC Pro.

What I have determined is that the "Packet Offset (Hex)" is what needs to have the info of what byte in the datastream is assigned to that function.

Now, looking at $58 and comparing that to ECMguy's page, there's no direct correlation between the information I have and what needs to be inserted there. How do I calculate or configure this? It doesn't look like a simple insertion of byte number will do it, since $58 does not convert over this easily.

I initially realized that this is likely the case because I was trying to add a second MAP value (both Volts and Kpa), and I had been using "Unique ID" for the byte, but when I tried to add the second MAP value, I got a pop up warning screen, saying that I needed to use a unique ID.

So that brings me to my next question, what is the purpose of the "Unique ID"?

*edit*
I was looking through file man and stumbled upon this: http://www.moates.net/files/3)%20Binary%20Editor%20Definitions/2)%20User-Contributed%20ECU%20Files/RAM7747.txt

Now from what I have read this looks most like a location table of certain bytes or tables within the bin file, but some of it also looks like it could be ALDL datalink stream.

Will this help me at all?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Ok, so after about a day and a half and searching here and a few other sites for information, I can finally say with confidance that I can assign the guage or "value" to the proper byte.

To do this, you need to convert the byte to hexidecimal and put this in the "packet offset (Hex)" box.

To understand Hex, and learn how to calculate it, or rather what to use to calculate it, read this white paper written by Mark Mansur: http://tunerpro.net/tutorials/UnderstandingHex.htm

Then it's just a matter of looking at the byte number, calculating for hex, and inserting it in the proper feild.

example:

Datastream A033, used by the '7747 ECM, has byte # 8 as engine RPM. This becomes 07 or $07 in hexidecimal, but is written as 0x07 in Scanner Pro .adx definition.

Simple as that.

To find the ALDL datastream definition, go to moates.net, look under fileman (files uploads and downloads in the left menu column), and find "ALDL stuff". It's a .zip file, that once unzipped will have a bunch of .DS files, a note pad file and a Word file. If your OS doesn't automatically assign a program to open them, use notepad to view the context of each file. Look at the "readme.txt" file for instructions on how to locate your definition.

There still other things I'm trying to figure out the relevance of, like the "Unique ID".

I'm also not exactly sure how bytes with multiple flags (used for bitmasks) get assigned properly.

Any more light to be shed on this would be great.
Last edited by Six_Shooter on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Ok, I'm just not seeing ANY pattern to the operation for the bitmasks, and what "Operand" and "result to test" parameters to input. I see that they match each other, but I don't see how to get the information I have about the datastream to enter as a hexidecimal, in these boxes.

The only pattern I seem to be able find is that bit 7 = 0x80.

:?

Ok, after some more comparing, I THINK this might be it....

Each bitmask is made up of 8 bits (a byte), and from what I can see there is a pattern to the way the bits are sorted in the operation and would be as follows:

The byte (location in the datastream) is calculated the same as values are (RPM, vehicle speed, etc.), calculated to hexidecimal (used in "packet offset (Hex)"), then each bit is as follows:

bit# hex
0 - 0x01
1 - 0x02
2 - 0x04
3 - 0x08
4 - 0x10
5 - 0x20
6 - 0x40
7 - 0x80

Is it really as simple as a table that assigns a hex value to each bit?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Well, I have a working $42 ADX file. :D

I have one small issue to work out and that would be the O2 value, but I'm working on that.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I will be posting the working $42 ADX file, but first I will say this:

I am still working on this and only have enough to have set-up to display the dash, of which I have created 2 in this ADX.

Here are two screen shots.

First is the "simple dash":

Next is a more complex dash, with more space for things that I haven't added yet:

I also need to say a few more things.

I haven't developed any Histograms or item lists to display, I haven't been that far with developing this just yet.

I have not been able to verify the accuracy of the O2 voltage yet, the last time I had this connected to the truck, the O2 was not displaying properly, I think this was due to the range I had set, and have adjusted the calculation to now fit within the range I want. I have used a short log to determine that the O2 display should be working corectly now.

I have also added a "Vehicle Speed KPH" value, but again have not verified it's accuracy and added it as more of an exercise of coming up with calculations and adding values.

Coolant temp: I noticed that the temp being displayed in Scanner Pro was about 20 degrees higher than in Tuner Pro using the "7747_mine.ads", even using the same look-up chart. I have not been able to compare accuracy of either just yet, hopefully within the next week I'll be able to do so.

Other than that, as always use at your own risk, not responsible for your use of this ADX, results may vary, batteries not included, you may devlope a condition known as 'hot dog fingers' through use of this product, may entice feelings of euphoria, etc, etc.

Here it is: http://domestic.3400z24.com/sixshooter/ ... hcoolC.adx