Setting up to scan 730 ECM

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

mrrilla

Setting up to scan 730 ECM

Post by mrrilla »

I recently swapped in a TPI motor into my street rod. I am using a 1227730 ECM and I bought a cable from ALDLcable.com. I downloaded Tuner RT and have set the serial port and baud to 8192. I have no gauges in the car and all I want to do is monitor the engine during break-in.

I am using the aujp1350.bin and 8D.xdf from Moates website but I am getting nothing on the "dash screen" in tunerpro RT not even the voltage. At the bottom its says "hardware not found" and "not emulating"...
duh because I'm not in that mode.

I know the ECM is getting power, my SES light comes on, it even flashs code 12 when I jump from A to B. I have tried several "free" programs with no success.

Can some please give me some advice? Is my order of operations wrong? Could it be my cable? Are my bins and xdf file wrong?
mrrilla

Post by mrrilla »

I have determined that my bins and xdf are correct. I know my ECM works and I must assume the cable is wired correctly.

In TP when I "test the ALDL" I get a message of cable not found. This makes me believe the RS232 port isn't configured correctly. I tried for hours this morning to get the program to "see" the cable and I am at a loss here........Can some one help?

I tried the hyperterminal 2-3 jumper thing on three computers and none of them can read COM port #1, I don't think that method is meant to be.
mrrilla

Post by mrrilla »

Does TunerPro have an issue with Windows XP? I can not get some of the other free software to work (ECM852) and I read its because it likes Windows 98.

Could that be my issue?
mrrilla

Post by mrrilla »

Well its amazing that I couldn't get any help with my problem. I finally downloaded a free trail version of Datamaster and low and behold....everything works. I don't know what is wrong with my tunerpro setup but I get a lot of zero values on the Dash Board when the ignition is on and I am sure that .bin and .xdf are correct.

Lessons Learned: its a good idea to check the COM port within device setup. Check to see that your getting about 5V between the ground and data prong on the end of the ALDL cable while plugged into the laptop (A and M prongs). Check Hyperterminal to see that data is streaming from the ECM, and make sure whatever software your using has the correct files loaded, correct Port is selected and that you at least try the free version of Datamaster.

Thanks for everyones help and I will be using Datamaster from now on.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

TunerPro does not have any issues with XP. Most likely you have misconfigured the COM port within TunerPro. 7730/8D is a very well tested and support configuration.

You feel ignored, and I understand that, but keep in mind that this forum isn't frequented by 10000 people. In most cases, it's just me and a couple others that provide help. And we deserve vacations now and then. The software is free.

Enjoy Datamaster.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am