scannerpro feature request

For those of you brave enough to try the beta releases, please ask your questions and post your issues here! Remember, the more info the better!

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Sil

scannerpro feature request

Post by Sil »

ahh so im thinking to blend (in the dash board) all of the gauges instead of having them butt up against eachother, have the background set to white ? this way i can make some very unique dashboards *drools*
oh and maybe get rid of the black border around the digital and flag gauges too, thad be slick.
im havin lots of fun laying out my different dash's
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

Is there a display like the bar graphs on Rbobs hud that could be implemented as another gauge type?
Saw them and wondered.
ashman

color change

Post by ashman »

another SIMPLE request...

can you change the main dashboard color from white/black letters to black/white letters? not a big problem but it REALLY lights up the inside of the car at night :shock:
Sil

Re: color change

Post by Sil »

ashman wrote:another SIMPLE request...

can you change the main dashboard color from white/black letters to black/white letters? not a big problem but it REALLY lights up the inside of the car at night :shock:

lol, you can turn the contrast down a bit on the monitor.
but it would be neat to have customazable color options.

besides you can be all cool when everyone looks at your dash and si like "what ze golly gee man das cool"
:P
JP86SS

IDEA!

Post by JP86SS »

Is it possible to put a second needle on the analog gauges?
Would use the scale of the primary but allow a second mapped signal to display within the same gauge. Would save some screen space.
Was thinking about items like:
Commanded AFR / WB
BLM Main/Integrator,
Startup Coolant/Coolant,
Commanded Idle speed/RPM,
Battery Volts/Fuel Pump Volts,
A few off the top of my head.

If not, that's ok.
Was a wild theory to be able to make bigger gauges do more.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Re: IDEA!

Post by Mangus »

JP86SS wrote:Is it possible to put a second needle on the analog gauges?
Would use the scale of the primary but allow a second mapped signal to display within the same gauge. Would save some screen space.
Was thinking about items like:
Commanded AFR / WB
BLM Main/Integrator,
Startup Coolant/Coolant,
Commanded Idle speed/RPM,
Battery Volts/Fuel Pump Volts,
A few off the top of my head.

If not, that's ok.
Was a wild theory to be able to make bigger gauges do more.
If I understand what you're asking for, that would make the gauge incredibly difficult to read. If, instead, you embed other guages into a single gauge's space, that might be easier to read. That functionality may be available in the future.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

that would make the gauge incredibly difficult to read.
Not really, the needles would need to be different colors but ALWAYS use the same scale on the dial.
Having the commanded AFR and the WB AFR indicate how well you are tracking the commanded.
startup coolant indicated while the current reading moves.
Figured it could be as easy as having a second input applied to the same gauge with a diffeent color. Could enable or disable the second reading by adding it or not.
Was a passing thought. If it happens great, if not I guess I'll live :)
Jp
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Adding a second needle would be easy enough, but I'm still not sure of its usability. As you mention, all needles would have to live within the same gauge scale.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

Got a couple ideas as I play with SP more,
1.) Small digital indicators below the scales of the grapgh monitors to indicate the actual current value. Hard to distinguish values, can only see trends currently.
2.) Ability to "step" through log playback one frame at a time. ("]" only jump during playback) difficult to do record by record and write down details. Maybe that was the "custom" speed that isn't in yet.
3.) Settable scale factor for the gauge divisions. Seem like they are multiples of 10 only. Major divisions/Minor division setting could make gauges configurable such as to display a 128 value as "Straight up" needle with whole number divisions on the dial.

Having allot of fun with it, I love being able to see bit status while viewing gauges. Just makes eveything come together better.
Thanks Mark.
Jp
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

JP86SS wrote:Got a couple ideas as I play with SP more,
1.) Small digital indicators below the scales of the grapgh monitors to indicate the actual current value. Hard to distinguish values, can only see trends currently.
2.) Ability to "step" through log playback one frame at a time. ("]" only jump during playback) difficult to do record by record and write down details. Maybe that was the "custom" speed that isn't in yet.
3.) Settable scale factor for the gauge divisions. Seem like they are multiples of 10 only. Major divisions/Minor division setting could make gauges configurable such as to display a 128 value as "Straight up" needle with whole number divisions on the dial.

Having allot of fun with it, I love being able to see bit status while viewing gauges. Just makes eveything come together better.
Thanks Mark.
Jp
1) OK
2) Hit pause, then step through
3) Yup, this is under the covers, but not hooked up to any editable parameters yet. Lots of stuff planned for dash/gauge customization.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
daveinet

Boot defaults

Post by daveinet »

It would be nice if when the program booted, it would boot to the last tab displayed when shut down. When driving, minimizing the number of keystrokes to get to the correct page when driving is important. I have a hot key that boots the program directly, for me, I would always have it come up in dash mode.

It would also be nice if multiple tabs could be open at once. For instance, I would display the Dash and BLM table at the same time. TTS sort of does this, although they don't specifically have a dash.
Dave
http://www.geocities.com/revconprince/index.html
502 Edelbrock/Howell MPFI Thorleys and Magnaflows - in a 13Klbs motorhome!

"There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
daveinet

Post by daveinet »

an additional comment on program booting to most recent tab, maybe a better thought would be a command line like ScannerPro.exe/C/D for auto Connect on start up and open Dash tab.

The comment about having a gauge within a gauge is interesting. I actually have overlapped the gauges just to see what happens. Seems there is a screen redraw that makes the second gauge go away momentarily in the redraw sequence. Where I would use it would be dropping the MAP sensor over the top of the pulse width. I would in this case place two rings one within the other so I would only see a small marker moving on the outer ring. Of course bar graph gauges would obsolete that concept.
Dave

"There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

With the work I'm putting into integrating the scannerpro features into tunerpro, i have a lot planned for dashboards.

Tunerpro will have the "boot to last tab shown" just like it always has.

overlapped guages may be supported.

connect on startup isn't a bad idea, but it wouldn't be a command line switch like you suggest, it would simply be a preference.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
vsii_super6

Post by vsii_super6 »

Mangus wrote:

Thanks Mark.
Jp
1) OK
3) Yup, this is under the covers, but not hooked up to any editable parameters yet. Lots of stuff planned for dash/gauge customization.
I can seem to be able to advance frame by frame when paused. Can anyone confirm this works?
vsii_super6

Post by vsii_super6 »

Mangus wrote:With the work I'm putting into integrating the scannerpro features into tunerpro, i have a lot planned for dashboards.

Tunerpro will have the "boot to last tab shown" just like it always has.

overlapped guages may be supported.

connect on startup isn't a bad idea, but it wouldn't be a command line switch like you suggest, it would simply be a preference.
Is there a beta out with scannerpro features in tunerpro?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

vsii_super6 wrote: Is there a beta out with scannerpro features in tunerpro?
Not yet.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
daveinet

XDL to comma delimited

Post by daveinet »

Is there any way to translate an XDL file to comma delimited? I have some old files I'm trying to play back, but regardless of what definition I use it just crashes. Need to be able to compare old data to the new data.
Dave

JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

That is one problem that does make things difficult.
If you make a change to the definition and save it, any old logs will not playback. Seems like it will be a difficult task (or possibly not because of "hash IDs" could be used to replay matching items only)
Things from previous definitions that no longer exist or are newly created since the log was generated would just not be in the display lookup routine.
Not sure how all that works in the background.
Is there any thoughts on how to handle this in the future?
Thanks again Magnus for all the work you've put into this over the years. :D
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

JP86SS wrote:That is one problem that does make things difficult.
If you make a change to the definition and save it, any old logs will not playback. Seems like it will be a difficult task (or possibly not because of "hash IDs" could be used to replay matching items only)
Things from previous definitions that no longer exist or are newly created since the log was generated would just not be in the display lookup routine.
Not sure how all that works in the background.
Is there any thoughts on how to handle this in the future?
Thanks again Magnus for all the work you've put into this over the years. :D
Hmm, that shouldn't be the case. Logs won't play back if you change the command structure, specifically if you change the command IDs of the commands represented in the log file.

Items in the definition outside of commands are not linked to the log file.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
daveinet

Post by daveinet »

The problem was with log files created with the previous build being compatible with the most recent build. I've gone back to an old version (I keep one on hand that runs in my WIN98 box) and have been able to run the old logs.
The export feature would still be beneficial, so one can inspect details. Its a little difficult to read points on a EKG graph to read exact points where stuff happens. This came up as a result comparing MAP readings at higher RPMs - noting where I am seeing some flow problems and how much loss I'm really seeing.
I suppose one could suggest that the great features of this program has caused me to be too anal about this thing.
Dave

Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Export will definitily be there, but just isn't yet. It won't help you with your old files, though, only files created with whatever build I ship it in.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

As a show of good faith that this is on my list and that I'm addressing this, here's a screenshot of the export functionality that will be part of the scannerpro engine (in this case, that will ship in TunerPro v5):

TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

:D :D :D :D
Only because there isn't one that drools!
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Cool, so we can choose as many or as few items as we want and by the looks of it into different files?

Will there be an easy "select all" button?

Looking good!

I was thinking about this earlier.....

Will Scanner Pro still be available as a seperate entity after TP RT v5 comes out? I'm looking forward to the integration, for sure, but I think there could be desire to have them seperate too. Maybe not. Aout the only time I actually use Scanner Pro now is on the test bench, in the car I get so much feed back from the tracing that I prefer TP RT simply for that function.

Cant wait for TP RT v5 just to have the full customizable dash AND data tracing. :D :D
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Six_Shooter wrote: Will Scanner Pro still be available as a seperate entity after TP RT v5 comes out?
Probably, although I haven't completely decided.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
cstaples

Post by cstaples »

vsii_super6 wrote:
Mangus wrote:

Thanks Mark.
Jp
1) OK
I can seem to be able to advance frame by frame when paused. Can anyone confirm this works?
Mine does not work either.I have to hit play then pause,play then pause.
daveinet

Post by daveinet »

Yes, and while we are on log playback, for some reason when ever I play back a log, it plays two replys and then stops. If you pause and restart it, it takes off and runs, but skips the first minute or so of data. Both my XP and my Vista have this problem even on different files recorded on each individual laptop.
Dave

Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Have you downloaded lately? A similar problem was fixed months ago. Let me know if you see it with a re-download (and a NEW log).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Lafuente

Post by Lafuente »

Hi Mark,

I notice that I can't use characters with accents in Scanner Pro definition file. Can you have a look on it please ?

Very good idea to integrate Scanner Pro in tuner Pro !!

What about logging 2 data streams in Scanner Pro ?

Bests,
Manu

P.S. : Sorry for my poor english :-(
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

I will look into it, Manu. I got your email. :)
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
daveinet

Post by daveinet »

Mangus wrote:Have you downloaded lately? A similar problem was fixed months ago. Let me know if you see it with a re-download (and a NEW log).
Yes, I've been running the latest version and it has the same problem. Could it be something screwy in the definition, or maybe some strange data on the where the def does not match the mask?
It has also had a problem that about every ten command/reply it gets an two errors and then continues. I've just ignored it, assuming it was a data rate problem.
Dave

Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

daveinet wrote:
Mangus wrote:Have you downloaded lately? A similar problem was fixed months ago. Let me know if you see it with a re-download (and a NEW log).
Yes, I've been running the latest version and it has the same problem. Could it be something screwy in the definition, or maybe some strange data on the where the def does not match the mask?
It has also had a problem that about every ten command/reply it gets an two errors and then continues. I've just ignored it, assuming it was a data rate problem.
The (consistent) errors you're seeing does sound like it could be something funky with the definition.

I don't have my test bench at the moment, but will e getting it back in December, at which point I can focus on the actualy scanning engine internals again. I should be able to troubleshoot these issues.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
daveinet

Post by daveinet »

Oops, I need to correct my statement. It does not get the errors every so often in the command /reply, but I do get the error log file problem where it does not want to play the log file with out stopping after the first 2 seconds and then having to restart again. When I first installed this on the Perspire One, the first log I made played back fine, and still plays back fine, but subsequent logs I've created have the old problem again.
Dave

Lafuente

Post by Lafuente »

Hi Mark,

Also, as I propose to you before, if we can translate TunerPro v5 in French :D :shock:
If you need help, ask me :P

Bests,
Manu