Stopped reading ALDL data

For those of you brave enough to try the beta releases, please ask your questions and post your issues here! Remember, the more info the better!

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

kaylin4u

Stopped reading ALDL data

Post by kaylin4u »

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!

8D '7730

Well, it stopped reading ALDL after I stopped it once and couldn't get it started it again. I'll be looking at a bit more, but is there anything I can do resync it?

Thanks for the hard work. It'll be well worth the money when you release the full version.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

If you close and re-open ScannerPro when this happens, can you reconnect? If not, get me the repro steps if possible.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
kaylin4u

Post by kaylin4u »

Well, I still can't get it to connect. Everything is correct, the com port number and all. I tried to reproduce what I did the other day with no luck. Gave up and started Datamaster and it's working okay.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

What kind of vehicle?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
kaylin4u

Post by kaylin4u »

'7730 SD $8D Mask

It's on a 1991 Firebird 383 HSR.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Hmm, there's another tester using $8D. I'm not sure he's having these problems. I'll have to think about what else can cause it. Will you continue to experiment?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

Mine seemed ok on logging/connection, just playback was giving me troubles. Connection speed was a bit slow at max of 4 hz but not sure if it was my 98 laptop causing it.
Will be playing some more tonight.
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

Just had a thought when reading the other post.
The "FFFFFFFF" offset in my definition for the Prom ID may be the whole problem.
Could just be an import error from when I brought in my existing definition. Will test that theory tonight.
Jp
kaylin4u

Post by kaylin4u »

I'm going out of town tomorrow, but planned on doing more testing this weekend.
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

JP86SS wrote:Just had a thought when reading the other post.
The "FFFFFFFF" offset in my definition for the Prom ID may be the whole problem.
Jp
Nope, didn't fix it.
I'll try the new version :)
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

JP86SS wrote:
JP86SS wrote:Just had a thought when reading the other post.
Jp
Nope, didn't fix it.
I'll try the new version :)
What problem are you trying to solve exactly? The slow connection? What are the specs of your Win98 machine? ScannerPro, currently, is pretty system intensive. I'd recommend a 300 mhz or better (my Win98 laptop is a 400).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

Its an Intel 800 but only has 128 ram, 60 Gb drive (46 free), running serial cable with USB on the AutoProm.
I changed to a fixed swapfile to see if that would help.
Couple things I did find was that having 32 bit video was slowing me down allot. Changed to 16 bit and picked up a few hz. This machine must be using shared vid memory too. Looking at DMA to possibly help if not enabled on my drive.
Still runs no faster than 4-5 but I could deal with that for now.
Was in the 0.3-2hz range before.
Loading and editing etc runs my CPU at about 30%. Playback pegs it and won't give back CPU% until you exit SP. Even with stopped playback.
You might want to look into that one.
Main issue is not able to replay logs. Can see data when logging even though it was slow tonight at 0.5 hz but will not replay.
Thought that strange offset in the definition might have caused it.

Were you able to play the logs I sent over?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

JP86SS wrote:Were you able to play the logs I sent over?
Haven't tried. A fixed swap file shouldn't help. More memory definitely would. If you're hitting the swap file at the same time that the app is requesting log data (from disk), then that's going to slow things down, although the file cache should mostly help there. 128 MB of RAM is minimal for sure.

Regarding pegging the CPU, again, it's intensive, however the playback thread should disappear shortly after playback is stopped. Maybe you could download process explorer (or a similar tool) and watch the thread count on your machine while this is happening? I don't seem to have these issues on my Win98 machine, which seems strange.

Your video card could also definitely be the issue. If it has poor 2D (GDI) performance, it would impact (and block) playback.

Could be a ton of things. We'll get it figured out.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
kaylin4u

Post by kaylin4u »

BTW, I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Lattitude D600 784MB Ram using my serial port on a Mastach ALDL cable. I also have a USB to Serial adapter that I can use. Do you think I should drop my baud speed or do anything particular to get this thing to connect? Could my system be too fast where it can't sync?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

kaylin4u wrote:BTW, I'm running XP Pro on a Dell Lattitude D600 784MB Ram using my serial port on a Mastach ALDL cable. I also have a USB to Serial adapter that I can use. Do you think I should drop my baud speed or do anything particular to get this thing to connect? Could my system be too fast where it can't sync?
No, your machine isn't too fast. It could be serial port or your cable, I suppose.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

Just FYI,
I am able to log and replay on the 98SE laptop with the 394.
Good job :)
Havn't been able to start the motor today but all sensors were indicating.