Brand New to TunePro

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

riders36

Brand New to TunePro

Post by riders36 »

Hi guys,

I am brand new to this form, and TunePro for that matter. Let me start by telling you a little about my vehicle, then we will get to the nitty gritty. I have a 1995 Chevrolet Blazer. It has a 4.3 V6 Vortec. I have an OBD 1.5 setup, which from my understanding is basically an OBD1 computer, with the 16 pin OBD2 hookup, plus or minus a few diagnostic features. My PCM is not under the hood, it is in the car on the passenger side. I am going to build my own ALDL cable. I am a computer technician, so I have a good understanding of the Baud rate, and how to build a usb cable to connect, not going to say I am a pro, this is my first time attempting. I have searched the internet high and low looking to get the just of what software will work with my Blazer. Treat me as you are teaching someone brand new to this stuff because you are. Will TunePro allow me to see the live data coming from my computer, and if so, how do I go about setting the software up correctly? I am not looking to do a custom tune, but I don't want to spend $300 to $400 on a tech II if I can set this up myself. I need live data to see what some of my sensors are doing. I currently have a code 44, which indicates lean exhaust, but I want to see what the computer is seeing. I am not a mechanic by profession, but I do enjoy working on cars during my off time. If I had the choice, I would be wrenching in a shop for a living, but I have Cerebral Palsy and could never move fast enough to make a good living. I enjoy going to the Drag strip and breaking out my drag toy every now and then. I have the basics down and know "just enough to get myself in trouble." lol. I want to learn all I can about TunePro, but again, I am not wanting to do any custom tuning, I am just needing to view live data.

Thanks,
riders36

[/img]
donf

Post by donf »

You can see live data with the right Datastream Definition file. If you are not wanting to do any tuning though, a cheap scan tool may be a faster solution. When building your own cable be aware that some china made cables are missing needed wires. I got three from china and then gave up and tossed them in the trash as they were filled with epoxy in the connector making it impossible to add more wires. Total waste of money! In the end the tech support for my communication issues that were not the result of the cable, from 1320 electronics paid for the cost of the tool and then some.