Anyone else using the P66 V6 files? (OBD1.5, 94/95 camaro V6

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

xnke

Anyone else using the P66 V6 files? (OBD1.5, 94/95 camaro V6

Post by xnke »

I am having a hell of a time getting Tunerpro to work with the P66 V6 files provided by Robert Saar here-he's been very helpful and even coded in boost support for me. The BIN files and XDF's seem to work fine-but the ADX appears to be giving me hell.

I say this, because Scan94/95 works fine, after finally getting all my other issues worked out. Tunerpro, however, gives garbage data.

I'm about ready to throw the whole wiring harness and PCM in the trash and go back to Megasquirt-I could have the whole thing running in minutes that way. I don't think it would ever run as good as the GM setup, though-that's why I started down this road. Tired of drivability issues with MSextra.

I have been using TunerproRT v5 for editing and patching the .bin files, and attempting to datalog with it. I have been using Tunercats Winflash to flash the PCM, and other than having an FTDI cable flake out and brick a bunch of PCMs, Winflash has given me no issues. I've been using Scan94/95 as the "sanity check" and it has a nice streamlined interface for doing mode 4 commands.

Anyway, the truck has a 6397 PCM fitted currently, and is running the 1994 F-body manual .bin file. I have turned off VATS, and the truck has a 2-bar MAP sensor and 36lb/hr injectors from the L67 GTP fitted. With a little tweak to the throttle stop, it starts, idles, and revs perfectly fine. The MAP reported is half of the real value, but spark advance is reasonable and everything works in Scan94/95. I know the 2-bar sensor and big injectors are the wrong way to tune this, but at least it's *working* like this.

Not so in Tunerpro! ALL data is complete garbage-even though it claims no errors-as soon as the engine starts. With the engine off, data is good. With the engine cranking, the data is normally reasonable. When the engine is RUNNING, the data is always gibberish. I thought I had the problem solved when I unplugged the TPS sensor and I got good data for exactly (1) cranking cycle-after the engine was shut off, the data went screwy and on restart, it was screwy from the beginning.

So, I decided to re-apply the 2-bar sensor patch, and set the injector sizing to the correct 36lb-hr value. Now, the engine runs terribly-it's too rich by a LOT, but this is just testing to figure out why things are messed up. Scan94/95 still reports proper values for everything except MAP-the MAP values never change from the default 98KpA, but all other values change and behave reasonably.

Tunerpro on the same BIN file, still shows the same garbage data. When the key is on, but engine is off, approximately 80% of the time the data reads fine. During cranking, the data reads fine as long as it's the first attempt. With the engine running, the data goes screwy and tells me things like 24,000 degrees of spark advance (not an exaggeration...) and that the RPM is 7,000,000+ at idle. What's worse, NONE of the data is trustworthy or even reasonable, and ALL the malfunction indicators are randomly triggered and recover, only to be triggered again at random.

Scan94/95 only shows the transmission fluid temperature high/low error, and it shows that because there is no sensor hooked up to it.

Hopefully someone here has some experience with getting the ADX to work-I'm having zero success so far. All the tuning I can do is watching my live data in Scan94/95 and trying to lean it out till it stops drowning in fuel using Tunerpro, then burning it with winflash. This is very limiting because Scan94/95 doesn't have the ability to deal with the 2-bar patch, apparently.

Any help out there?
xnke

Post by xnke »

Here's an example of what I mean by "bad data". I do NOT get data errors anymore! That went away with the old FTDI cable.

Now, I get good data rates (4-6hz on average, that's good enough) but as you'll see in the video, I get crazy data.

You'll also see the 1 in a million shot of clean data as well! I was suprised to catch it on video-and I have the data log of both the clean data and the random data-it's one file.

Still having good luck in Scan94/95 as far as data, too. Only thing not working there is the MAP sensor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=2k2wm2K4mc0
xnke

Post by xnke »

So, this is happening again. Have been trying to troubleshoot a code issue with Robert, and I can't give him clean data because Tunerpro looses it's mind every time I start the truck.

Data is *normally* OK until the truck is started. Even if I pull the PCM and put it on a bench, and use a simulated crank signal to trigger the PCM, Tunerpro is normally OK until I start the crank trigger. Then, the same garbage data I've fought since the start of this.
xnke

Post by xnke »

Doesn't appear to be a Tunerpro issue now. I shut off the ALDL scheduling tables in the BIN and MOST of the problems are gone-I get the occasional data error now but the datastream rights itself and gets back to business afterward, instead of continuing to come in corrupted.