GM 3.4 V6 1994

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Jeep85

GM 3.4 V6 1994

Post by Jeep85 »

Hello everyone, my name is Jay and I am new to the forum.
I have a 1985 Jeep Cherokee and I am swapping the 2.8 engine for a 3.4. It is a GM 3.4 V6 out of a 1994 Pontiac Firebird with automatic transmission.
The engine will be connected to the Jeep's manual transmission and I will use the EFI set up from the Pontiac.
Problem is that the ECU is programmed for the automatic transmission. Can I use Tunerpro to convert it to manual transmission use? Which VSS output does the ECM need? 4000 ppm? And can Tunerpro delete the VATS?

A lot of questions but I hope you can help me with this matter.

Thank you,
Jay
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

all of the calibration changes can be done by tunerpro with the P66 V6 XDF, though you'll have to choose between a couple software packages to use to upload the calibration to the PCM. madtuner or tunercat both had had packages out for a while and recently steveo on gearhead-efi.com has been releasing some beta-level stuff.

it would be simple enough to just start with a 94-95 3.4 manual calibration and change the few things you would need to adapt it to your application.
damanx

Post by damanx »

On the VSS, I'm thinking that it's the 8K on those.

If that is the case, I might be able to help you out with a Novak Conversions 8k VSS that would plug into your stock transmission via the cable and then output the 8k sine wave that you would need.
Jeep85

Post by Jeep85 »

Thank you for your replies.

@robertisaar: So I cannot use Tunerpro to upload the calibration? Which package do you advice?

@damanx: I know the Novak unit. It looks good and might be the best solution but I have to figure out what the ppm is. I think it is 4000 but i am not sure how it works. The revs of the engine determine the number of ppm's. So how can it work with a fixed number of ppm's?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i use the Madtuner flashing program.

http://www.madtuner.com/index.php?page= ... &Itemid=26

if you want the ability to flash the 94-95 LT1 PCM as well, there is the "pro" option.

http://www.madtuner.com/index.php?page= ... &Itemid=26

I've never used the tunercat version, so I can't really say much about it other than their 94-95 LT1 setup has been around forever and their V6 version didn't come out until after the Madtuner package was released.
damanx

Post by damanx »

Jeep85 wrote:Thank you for your replies.

@robertisaar: So I cannot use Tunerpro to upload the calibration? Which package do you advice?

@damanx: I know the Novak unit. It looks good and might be the best solution but I have to figure out what the ppm is. I think it is 4000 but i am not sure how it works. The revs of the engine determine the number of ppm's. So how can it work with a fixed number of ppm's?
Jeep85,

I got one of the novak vss's when I converted my analog gauges to a digital cluster. This cluster is a factory stock cluster, but required the 4k pulses.

I then had to add a DRAC to convert the sine wave from the VSS to a square wave. The DRAC also divides the input pulse down and then sends those pulses out to the ECM, ABS if equipped, and the speedo.

When using the Novak unit, I had to add a circuit that divided the speedo output pulse from the 4k out to a 2k out for the ECM.

What I know now, I could have saved 40 bucks, but did not realize at the time that I could have used a VSS from a 1991 gm vehicle using one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VSS-Vehicle-Spe ... 0655599249

These are 4k I believe.

I now have two of them and need to try them out, but I have not because it would require me to re calibrate the DRAC again and then do some rewiring.

These VSS's can be gotten from your local junkyard, and they hardly ever go bad from what I've read.

Just make sure you grab the driven gear that attaches to it if you go that route.