Volvo Penta GXi-F MEFI reader

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

akveps

Volvo Penta GXi-F MEFI reader

Post by akveps »

Good day!

Ive looked all around the forum and either I am not searching correctly or its well hidden, so please bear with me if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere.

I have a Volvo Penta Gxi-F engine in my boat.

This is a GMC 5.7 with an MEFI-4

Volvo's don't use a standard OBDC connector, they have their own Data Link Connector (DLC).
I would like to use Tuner Pro to read diagnostic codes and help in diagnosing problems with the control system. I live a long way from anyone who would typically have a diagnostic tool for this boat motor and I want to be able to troubleshoot when Im out on the water.

This motor is my first foray into MEFI controlled engines and Im starting out pretty fresh.

So the questions I have are the following and any help would be appreciated:
1) Can TunerPro be used to read an MEFI controller set up for a boat
2) Are the pinouts for an OBDC connector straight out of the MEFI controller? Could I build my own ODBC connector by hooking up to the right pins on the MEFI controller?
3) If not does anyone know what the output is for the Volvo DLC?
4) Has anyone tried this before with success or failure?

I have more questions than these but this is a good start. If you have any light you can shed on this I would be grateful

Thanks for your help
cbernhardt

Post by cbernhardt »

Does the engine controller have a GM part number on it, something like 12569494, or 88962717 ?
The part number will probably be on a sticker on the underside of the controller.
Does the connector look like this?
akveps

Post by akveps »

Hi Cbernhardt. Sorry for the lengthy time between replies...
Yes, the controller has a GM part number on it.
Its an MEFI4b ECU
It has that connector on it.

I ordered the MEFI Scan kit from OBD Diagnostics

Works really well for looking at parameters.
Im not sure how to look at the diagnostic codes on it yet.
Still trying to bend my head around what each of the parameters mean.

Do you know if there is a good resource for the parameter listings?

I think that the ScannerPro software that comes with the MEFI scan tool is limited or I cant figure out how to use it correctly yet.

I tried to load the tunerpro RT software with the ADX file from MEFI scan tool but the ADX file is not compatible with the TunerPro RT software.

Does anyone know of an ADX file for the MEFI4b controller that would work with the Tunerpro RT software? I would like to use the latest features of TunerPro RT (mostly building dashboards for now), but dont know where to start

Any other Volvo Penta owners out there?
cbernhardt

Post by cbernhardt »

To view the codes in ScannerPro select the "Items Lists" tab a the bottom of the screen. The malfunction codes are listed about half way down the listing.

Not sure what you mean by "I think that the ScannerPro software that comes with the MEFI scan tool is limited or I cant figure out how to use it correctly yet." What problems are you having?

I posted the same question about using RT with the OBD Diagnostics ADX file and MEFI controllers about a year ago and never received any answer. The ADX file would load and the correct dash board would appear, but I could never get it to connect. I have not used RT so I am not familiar with building dash boards with it, but you can build dash boards with the older version of ScannerPro, which is what you have.

Charles

akveps wrote:Hi Cbernhardt. Sorry for the lengthy time between replies...
Yes, the controller has a GM part number on it.
Its an MEFI4b ECU
It has that connector on it.

I ordered the MEFI Scan kit from OBD Diagnostics

Works really well for looking at parameters.
Im not sure how to look at the diagnostic codes on it yet.
Still trying to bend my head around what each of the parameters mean.

Do you know if there is a good resource for the parameter listings?

I think that the ScannerPro software that comes with the MEFI scan tool is limited or I cant figure out how to use it correctly yet.

I tried to load the tunerpro RT software with the ADX file from MEFI scan tool but the ADX file is not compatible with the TunerPro RT software.

Does anyone know of an ADX file for the MEFI4b controller that would work with the Tunerpro RT software? I would like to use the latest features of TunerPro RT (mostly building dashboards for now), but dont know where to start

Any other Volvo Penta owners out there?
akveps

Post by akveps »

Thanks Charles,

I found the parameter list and I'm working through it now. I'm trying to figure out what each parameter means or does. Some are obvious, others I don't understand.

on the Scannerpro software that comes with the mefiScan, I can't add items to the dash. When talking to Bob at OBD diagnostics he told me that the version of Scannerpro that ships with MefiScan was a custom compile for him so that the adx file would stay proprietary.

ObdDiagnostics told me the adx file they have wont allow a connection with the standard tunerPro RT

It would be nice if the OBD diagnostic software would work with the latest tunerPro, but not sure how to do that.
I've asked elsewhere on this forum to see if anyone has a adx for the mefi4b, but no luck
cbernhardt

Post by cbernhardt »

akveps wrote:Thanks Charles,

I found the parameter list and I'm working through it now. I'm trying to figure out what each parameter means or does. Some are obvious, others I don't understand.

on the Scannerpro software that comes with the mefiScan, I can't add items to the dash. When talking to Bob at OBD diagnostics he told me that the version of Scannerpro that ships with MefiScan was a custom compile for him so that the adx file would stay proprietary.

ObdDiagnostics told me the adx file they have wont allow a connection with the standard tunerPro RT

It would be nice if the OBD diagnostic software would work with the latest tunerPro, but not sure how to do that.
I've asked elsewhere on this forum to see if anyone has a adx for the mefi4b, but no luck
What is the version of your Scannerpro?
My version is 0.05.0574.00 and I can make custom dashes.
http://www.carols62.com/scannerprodash.jpg
Perhaps you can find an older version of ScannerPro that allows changes.
I believe also that the only difference between the MEFI4a (the controller that I have on my GM RamJet engine) and the MEFI4b is that the 4b has CAN bus capability.

I am not sure why the OBD Diagnostics ADX file will not work with RT. I am assuming that it needs changes in the communications parameters. I tried it several years ago with no success. Even if you could get RT to communicate with the MEFI controller, I doubt if you could modify/change the tune, so I just use the three separate programs that OBD Diagnostics includes with their software and it works fine. The tune in your MEFI4b is probably password protected anyway, so you would probably not be able to modify it.

Charles
akveps

Post by akveps »

I dont get it Charles,
I have the same version of ScannerPro as you, but Im unable to type anything in the grayed out Item area when trying to create a new dash guage.
Thats where you put it right?

(Cant figure out how to include a picture...)[/img]
Volvo Penta Gxi-F 5.7 with a Mefi4b
GMC 12584052

school costs money...
akveps

Post by akveps »

Also, when talking to ODB Diagnostics, they said they would send me a BIN that I could use on my MEFI controller. It didnt sound like it was password protected, but I will check on that also.
GMC 12584052

school costs money...
cbernhardt

Post by cbernhardt »

First of all make a copy of your ADX file in case you mess it up.

Open ScannerPro and load your ADX file.

Click on Edit Definition, click on the ‘+’ on Dashboards, then click on Main Dashboard.

Click on ‘Add Gauge’ and enter the Top, Bottom, Left, and Right location values and the Gauge Type (Analog, Digital Numeric, or Status. Then click ‘Save’.

A new blank gauge should appear in the Dash view. Right click in the blank gauge space and select a Value or Bitmask type. The value should appear in the new gauge space. Click on ‘File”, ‘Save Definition’.

In order to modify the tune in your engine you will need the OBD Diagnostics TunerPro definition file to modify the tune and their MEFIBurn program to upload/download the tune into the MEFI controller. The tune you get from Bob will probably not be password protected.

Charles
akveps

Post by akveps »

Thanks so much Charles, that was the information I was missing for setting up the dash!
GMC 12584052

school costs money...