No Parameters

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

John B

No Parameters

Post by John B »

I had been occasionally using an earlier version with Moates APU1. Lost a hard drive. Downloaded Version 5 latest. Cant get any parameters to show up. Using 6e for 89 vette & $32 for 86. Connects to Apu1. What am I missing please.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

You are loading the correct XDF, BIN ans ADX for the application(s), correct?
John B

Post by John B »

Six_Shooter wrote:You are loading the correct XDF, BIN ans ADX for the application(s), correct?
I believe I am. Using 6E as before for an 89 Corvette. Initially I was conecting with APU1 & read a factory prom. Couldnt see any parameters when I loaded bin. I then found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpUaeiJYk3I & became more confused. When he said find current bins & paste in root program file @ 1:13. I went to code 59 unzipped latest XDF & ADX into program. Now it doesnt recognize APU1. I thought the only XDF file I needed was for the year/model I was working with Like the 6E or $32. Sorry for ignorance. I'm Full Time ASE Cert Master drivability Tech since 1987. Have owned a Corvette performance shop since 2001. Tuned hundreds of cars with LS1 edit & HP Tuners. I bought the moates package in 2004-5? Every time Im forced to drag it out I lose my ass. Once I finally get functionality of software & hardware the tuning is easy. Very frustrating when overhead clock is ticking. I'm wishing I went to school for programming rather than Auto Tech to use this stuff.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Don't worry about the code 59 stuff, that does not apply to at all. He should have mentioned that this was for specific applications. He may have intended to only post it on code 59, or in reply to code 59 topics, without mentioning it the video, which is confusing to people that are new or rusty.

What I would do is back up, and see if you can connect with just the datalogging side of it. This requires the switches to be in certain positions, sorry I don't recall what those positions are, I need to look it up every time I use my APU1 as well. Loads the ADX file, and connect to the car this way, looking at the dash board and other information tabs to make sure that you are able to connect that way. This will only show you what the ECM is doing, but will not allow changes, but is a good connectivity test.

After that you can get into the emulation side of it, changing those switches appropriately, and connecting the ribbon cable to the ECM.

Load the XDF and BIN files to Tuner Pro, initialize the hardware, and then upload the bin to the APU1. At this point I always do a simple key on check. I simply turn the ignition key on and watch for the CEL flash, then stay on. This means that the APU1 is connected and the correct bin is loaded, along with the ECM reading from the APU1. If the CEL simply comes on without a flash or quickly flashes, something is not right, either the wrong bin or the hardware is not connected properly.

About that video, I'm only about half way through, I've been listening to it while typing this thread. disregard almost everything he says, while he seems to understand how to manipulate Tuner Pro, he doesn't understand the functionality of the code he's working with, or at the very least explaining the effect of this wrong.
John B

Post by John B »

Six_Shooter Thank you very much for your input & time.
Uninstalled reinstalled. Now I comunicate with APU1. Can read & write 6E chips. The ADS I was previously using is not working. When I go to downloads & click on 6E ADS file i just get script. In that list is V5 only for other applications. ADS vs ADX?
I have previously owned 1971 240Z stock, 1972 240Z dual webers,cam cannon intake, 1983 280zx turbo & 1984 300ZX turbo
Curious about yours.
John B

Post by John B »

Ok.... ADX files are new ADS files. There is a built in converter that we dont talk about & it doesnt work. Moates support has a page to walk through this. It is simple enough if you know to look for it. Why would I know that? I realize this isnt mass produced software. I didnt pay much for it. I have lost considerable $ spinning my Non programmer wheels trying to make stuff function over last decade. I will gladly pay for tech support
Anybody who can convert chip head to grease monkey accurately & efficiently please contact me. I will pay pal or credit card per call or whatever so as to not spend hours spinning my wheels in the future.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I think you're using Internet Explorer? When you want to download a file from the downloads section, right click and "save as..." This will download it in the correct format.

Yes, ADX is the replacement for ADS, because the format was a large departure from from the previous format.

The import function definitely does work, importing an ADS and then saving it as an ADX. I have used this a number of times since the introduction of TP RT V5, before actually, but that was with a test program called Scanner Pro. There was a bug early on in TP RT V5 for this function, but has since been fixed.

What is the problem you are having with the ADS to ADX import/converter function?

Ok, so you have communication with the APU1, this is good, a step forward, you can read and write to EEPROMs, another step forward.

What problem(s) are you still experiencing?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as my 240 goes, it's a '73 that I got in pretty stock, but abused form. The interior was shot, and butterscotch (eww), the engine was an L28, with dual down draft Webers, and an autotragic transmission.
I've made a number of changes to it, including Tokico Blue strut inserts, Eibach lowering springs, 5 lug swap using mostly 300ZX parts, and a few other cars as donors for that, rear disc brakes. The diff has been swapped to an R200 and CV axles. The interior is now black, other than a few pieces that require pulling the windshield to replace.
I initially upgraded the drive train to a 4 speed trans, then a 5 speed, and added EFI and a turbo to the L28. I used a 1227749 ECM loaded with code 59, to run the show.
This past summer I pulled the L28 and trans for the engine that I had planned to install in the car before I bought t, over 6 years ago. A GM V6, an LX9, which is a 3.9L from a 2006 Chevy Malibu, I mated it to a 1992 300ZX trans, and then added a turbo to it for good measure. I retained the same ECM. :D
John B

Post by John B »

I have 12 customer Vettes in shop built on side of hill. 2 C4s on 12 in slicks & a foot of snow in our forecast. My ignorance in this combined with mother nature time crunch has been frustrating.
I followed this http://support.moates.net/tprtv5-ads-to-adx/ & edited the 67. I data logged with my scan tool & burned a couple chips to get this 383 running. Never got the ads/adx to work. Just going to punt until spring. If I get caught up I will try & figure thisa out. I appreciate all your time Six_Shooter & probably would have thrown this in lake without your help. Msg me if you feel like being paid tech support.
Your Z car sounds awesome with all the tricks!!
John B

Post by John B »

I am using Internet Explorer. When I try to download ADS/ADX files from list only option I get is to save target not file. Tried on multiple PCs.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Ok, use "Target Save As..." It's been a very long time since I've used IE, so I sometimes forget the nomenclature.

No need to pay (me), I needed help in the past to get up and running and still look for help on specific issues now and then. ;)

As far as the Moates guide goes, I've never needed to change any parameters after being imported, just imported and saved as an ADX...