Motronic 3.1 red label 413 and vanos

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Forced_Firebird

Motronic 3.1 red label 413 and vanos

Post by Forced_Firebird »

Vanos has been discussed before, and it seems to be a consensus to leave it alone, but I have a couple questions.

One car I am tuning, s52 converted to OBD1 using Sunbelt cams, forged/balanced rotating assembly VAC Stage 2 head, m50 manifold, 3.5" MAF. The other is an m50 with 45mm ITB's.

I was watching a video posted by Miller Performance and saw them tuning with Vanos off, then tuning with Vanos on so that the full range of cvam motion could be tuned.

I have been playing with the Vanos maps in several of the public definition files, and none of them seem to do anything. Tried zeroing out the maps, making them all ones, making them all 110 (per another thread), and 255. To test I plugged a Vanos actuator solenoid into the harness, free of the engine and took note of the movement. No matter what was in the Vanos maps, it was still actuating.

Does anyone know where the Vanos control is, or can help me find it?

This might also help speed up tuning, since while data tracing, TP seems to jump back and forth between advance and retarded maps.

Thanks in advance,

John