What kind of learning curve am I looking at on a 413?

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Cyrix2k

What kind of learning curve am I looking at on a 413?

Post by Cyrix2k »

Hi, I'm active on a lot of BMW forums. I currently own two BMW e30s - a 1985 and a 1991. The '85 currently has a boosted M50B25 NV running MS2/extra engine management while the '91 has a stock M50B25 NV running a 403 DME with a TMS chip. I want to swap the turbo to my '91 and want to retain the Bosch DME for factory like driveability (the MS is never *quite* as good). I understand the 403 uses an oddball MAF, so it looks like I should add VANOS and knock sensors, then swap the harness & DME for a 413.

After this, I have a few options - pay someone for a tune, buy the Miller WAR chip, or use TunerPro w/ Ostrich 2.0. TunerPro doesn't look all that intimidating, so what kind of learning curve am I in for if I go the TunerPro/Ostrich route? I'm familiar with Megasquirt and TunerStudio. The idea is to swap my turbo gear over and get the car running well in a fairly short timeframe. What has to be done? Edit the k value for the injectors, scale the MAF table for a 3.5" MAF (if necessary - looking for about 400 whp), scale & edit the fuel/ignition maps accordingly, and go?

Thanks for any input!