Simulation - Temporary xdf parameters

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Relic

Simulation - Temporary xdf parameters

Post by Relic »

You have the ability to gather live data and link adx to xdf files.
Which is great.
But I have a different requirement.

I built an engine simulator in a spreadsheet, but it would be more beneficial to cut out the middle man and have it run within tunerpro.

This way I can get tunerpro to update all the tables in the bin file automagically depending on what data I enter into supplementary parameters.
Here in lies the problem.

I am trying to create parameters to use as constants, variables, lookup tables or output tables.
But they all rely on having a memory location within the BIN file to store modified values.
1. This items RAW data (use the BIN address location of this to hold value).
2. Other XDF item output (use the BIN address location of that to hold value).
3. RAW data at address (use the BIN address location of that to hold value).

I need to be able to simply store it in the xdf itself rather than the BIN and use it for calculations.
So I might have a scalar using X that simply holds the variable I enter for reference purposes.

4. This items RAW data (dont use BIN address location).

eg.
I want to create a Selected SOI table (output to the screen) which only fills with the data from 1 of 9 SOI tables.
I want to create a SOI table selector scalar.
If I change the selector scalar to 7.... the 8th SOI table will fill the Selected SOI table.

Neither of these touch the bin file but would be used for viewing and updating other tables.
The selected table would use..Y (Other XDF item output).. for linking to the table selector and use it to select the table to use for its values.
I will then do similar for duration and rail pressure tables.

Depending on what duration soi and rail pressure tables are selected....an EOI table will be generated using their data.
This EOI table has no meaning or existance in the BIN file.

Do you follow ?
Is this possible.. as I cant get this kind of thing to work ?
I would like to see the result of modifying the BIN file on the fly and it doesnt really allow for this.
Relic

Post by Relic »

:| ...quiet this forum.... in'it
MrMarty51

Post by MrMarty51 »

I know absolutely not one thing about computer programming but I like the ideas that You have come up with.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Its just basically to give more control over the data.
Currently you can only play with how the existing bin data is displayed.
Although you can assign specific values "IF they are part of the formula for the parameter".

Need to be able to use other parameters to change the data.
Cant do that while the variable is/are tied to a bin file as you need temporary tables, functions, scalars and such that dont exist in the bin file.

I can sit here and adjust 100s of tables in the bin file....
..or I can just adjust 2 or 3 temporary tables which will modify the other 100 tables automatically as a result.
One takes hours with the chance of mistakes....the other takes seconds and shouldnt have any errors if done right.

Personally I thnk it would make Tunerpro a vastly more powerful tool. :?

eg.. I modify the car and change the VE.
I log the new VE and compare to old.
I could have old VE and new VE temporary tables that modify evrything in the bin due to their contents.
MrMarty51

Post by MrMarty51 »

WOW,You are a smart man,and I thinking the man that created Tuner Pro is very intellegent too.
I do have a question though,if something is changed in tuner Pro does that change the way the ECM functions.I mostly have the ALDL OBD1 systems in My pickup and Buick,I am also going to be converting several other vehicles to the TBI injection systems and have been rounding up all the TBI systems that I can from the scrap yards,including the ECMs and the intake manifolds and all associated sensors,along with the ALDL connectors.A 83 Chevy 1/2 ton,a 79 Chevy 3/4 ton and My 1959 Dodge W100 Power Wagon,I am anxious to get going on these but I have several other items to get repaired first.
The wifeys car is an 08 Malibu with the OBD2 so those ECMs can be changed quit easily and then brought back to stock settings in case of warranty issues.
Thank You Tuner Pro for being here.
I will get in and do My donatioin immediately after I hit the post button.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Why not create an XDF scalar and set the equation to the constant that you want to use? e.g. "17.5"

You can do this with ADXs too (as is done in real-time fuel efficiency calculations in ADX definitions).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Relic

Post by Relic »

Because it automatically assigns itself address 0....and changes the .bin file when saved.
I have other important stuff at address 0 in the .bin file.
Who knows what happens if I use 100 for that scalaar...save the bin and then upload it.

I use scalars for the single value boost limiters and such.
I want to use it as a variable ...not a constant...such as a map selector.
I need to change the value on the fly without it impacting the .bin file when saved.
Unlike the single value boost limiter, which I do want saved to the bin file.

I might want to creater a VE table...which does not exist in the .bin and cant be stored in the bin. But it will lookup multiple value from other tables in the bin and use a formula to process the result. That result might update multiple other tables.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks for the reply.
Mick
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

I don't understand the scenario, then. Can you explain in more detail, using numbers and the steps you'd use this for?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Relic

Post by Relic »

Lets say I have rpm vs iq = map
16x16 table.

Depending on the VE of the engine at any rpm...the MAF will change.
VE depends on IAT MAF MAP and RPM.

Now I also have a set of EGR tables and lambda tables
rpm vs iq = requested MAF 16x16
rpm vs MAF = lambda. 16x16

Increasing the VE will raise the MAF for the same MAP and rpm.
I may want to keep the same EGR controlled IQ.
So I need to modify the Lambda table or the EGR tables to keep the same IQ depending on the VE.

This VE table does not exist in the .bin file.
EGR and MAF tables would update using the MAP figures and the VE figures by formula.

Clearer ?

Now imagine i want to use efficiency curves for Volumetric efficiency, compressor efficiency and intercooler efficiency.....letting tables refer to these values as part of the formula.

My aim is to enter some basic fundamental information that seeds the modfication of all the ECU tables.
I dont think that is possible without the use of intermediate values as scalar or table.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

And you need these intermediaries to be preserved? It sounds like you need to extend the bin, or somehow be given the opportunity to open two bin files (which would be confusing for users in general). Or perhaps tack the tables onto the end of an existing bin and specify only the range that gets uploaded to the emulator (or burned to the chip).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Relic

Post by Relic »

I did actually consider if that would be a possibility.
Turn a 1mb bin file into a 2mb file and use the upper 1mb for temp tables.
Could probably work.....but not sure what it would do to the file making an artificial split and join like that.

TBH I have never worked with split bin files..... so not sure.
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

Mangus wrote:...Or perhaps tack the tables onto the end of an existing bin and specify only the range that gets uploaded to the emulator (or burned to the chip).
That is an interseting idea.
Would there be any limiting issues like calculations not being performed on a "referenced" table location that is not being emulated?
Thinking about a local bin copy that is larger than the running bin, it could havea VE BLM tables that could be referenced and errors calculated. Then once every update period specified the corrections could be translated to an emulation table change. that could be saved with the running bin and the 'external' range tables would only be saved on the hard drive.
hence, auto tune routines?
Relic

Post by Relic »

Thats pretty much what I had in mind from a simulation rather than emulation point of view.