Category limitations...

Submit feature suggestions for future versions of TunerPro here.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

JPrevost

Category limitations...

Post by JPrevost »

Is there any future plans to change the limitation of having only 2 Categories to unlimited?
I have Categories setup (brief example); Fuel, Ignition, Setup, Most Frequent, Advanced, etc. Right now I can only pick 2, Category A and B. For things like the Injector constant I'd like to have it in the Fuel, Setup, Most Frequent Categories. Maybe this is a limitation in the current xdf file format? If not, it would be a nice to have.
, Jon Prevost from thirdgen.org 91 camaro and still TBI with a mild 350 well into the 13's street trim and daily driven
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

I could have swarn you told me that you "think the catagory and levels could have been left out"! :D

Its not so much a limitation in the XDF file format, but it is a limitation of the UI. TunerPro uses categories as view filters, not as tree nodes. In the future I'll probably go to a tree view rather than lists, in which case it makes sense to categorize items as tree nodes. When I make that change, I'll remove the 2 category limit.

As it is now, allowing a user to assign an unlimited number of categories would make it a nightmare to set up the filtering and would likely cause far more confusion than its worth.

By the way, did you notice that I made it so the 3D graphs don't reset when you close and re-open them? Only when you close the associated table does the graph position reset. Thought you might like that.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
JPrevost

Post by JPrevost »

Mark, YES, you could have left out this feature!!! Do you know how long it took me to edit my xdf file for the $61? Let's just say it was over 2000 mouse clicks and 2 evenings I could have had to play some Forza Motorsports :) .

Yes, your features are much appreciated. As proof, I haven't used TunerCat in a while. Your select multiple cells and drag is excellent. I didn't think you would ever get around to improving the 3D stuff but you have. Excellent work!

As for the categories. I was thinking for each item, just string together all the keywords and populate a drop down list with the keywords. As a user selects categories search the delimited string (or array if you want to get fancy) and have the program search the xdf for all string values. It shouldn't be hard and no need for a tree. Limit the categories to 6-10 to fit easily on a form.
I'm using the levels right now for 0-novice, 8&9-elite, 10-don't touch. Then I've got the categories setup as fuel, spark, other, frequent, and infrequent. Each xdf item's A category is either fuel, spark, or other and the B category is frequent or infrequent. So far it looks great. I'll e-mail you the xdf file to host or package with your program. Eventually I'd like to do the $6E the same way but I'm swamped with work and EBL so it's unlikely. Maybe if somebody paid me with a free dinner, lol. Later
, Jon Prevost from thirdgen.org 91 camaro and still TBI with a mild 350 well into the 13's street trim and daily driven
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Sounds very cool. I'm not sure I completely follow your keyword suggestion. Are you suggesting, like, an auto-populate feature? If so, do you have any suggestions on how to eliminate the non-critical words? I'm probably misunderstanding, though.

I'll re-read your post again, but maybe you could explain it differently?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am