NV Head w/ 413 ECU

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

thedean

NV Head w/ 413 ECU

Post by thedean »

Has anyone tried running a nonvanos head with the 413 ecu? What i am saying is will leaving the vanos solenoid unplugged put the ecu in safe mode or will it just only run one timing/fuel map?

Thanks!
inthegarage

NV head w/ 413

Post by inthegarage »

I think ou will need to still have the solenoid logged in, or at least a dummy plug with resistor so the ECU still sees it. That way no check engine and no fault-limp mode.
Just set the vans maps to all off, it will not use all the other maps
thedean

Re: NV head w/ 413

Post by thedean »

inthegarage wrote:I think ou will need to still have the solenoid logged in, or at least a dummy plug with resistor so the ECU still sees it. That way no check engine and no fault-limp mode.
Just set the vans maps to all off, it will not use all the other maps
I'm still a noob on the code-side and haven't had much time to play around with it lately. I didn't know you could turn the VANOS maps completely off.
aboutton

Post by aboutton »

Unplugging the Vanos solenoid on 413 makes the ecu go crazy, and in the first place why the hell you need to disable vanos for ?

and if the idea is that you only have a non vanos head you will have to change the cam trigger wheel, it is different. Or the best to do is to get yourself a 402 ECU with the wiring and change the crank trigger wheel to a non vanos.
HyperBoost Tuning
Tony Ouneissy
Lebanon
thedean

Post by thedean »

aboutton wrote:Unplugging the Vanos solenoid on 413 makes the ecu go crazy, and in the first place why the hell you need to disable vanos for ?

and if the idea is that you only have a non vanos head you will have to change the cam trigger wheel, it is different. Or the best to do is to get yourself a 402 ECU with the wiring and change the crank trigger wheel to a non vanos.
Non-vanos head has been proven to rev to 8k, and higher lift cams. I dont want to use a 403 ECU because the MAF options are DANG!, i need a hpx or 803 for 400whp plus airfloe capabilities. Idea is a gt30 with m50 vanos bottom end mated to a non-vanos head for a very wide power band. Boost makes up for the loss of VE due to vanos.
aboutton

Post by aboutton »

Nice project thedean, and you are right non vanos heads with big cams can rev up to more then 8K actually i did make it rev to 8600 RPM with peak horsepower @ 8100 but i was facing clutch and crank pulley problems due to very small vibrations became dangerous when revving this much. ( that was NA engine )

and also i did a similar boosted engine :
GT37
non vanos head
S50 MTB with custom intake manifold
CatCam turbo camshafts
S52B32 cylinder
CP Pistons
ARP Head bolts
Carillo conrods
ACL race bearings
2000cc injectors
LINK G4 storm standalone ECU

the output was stunning, it gave 700whp on 1.8 bar of boost, now i have disassembled everything for the next crazy step, i am installing Pyramid rings and planing to raise the boost up to 2.5 bar ( crazy ).

now back to your original question :

Leaving the Vanos Unplugged will not put the ECU in safe mode and it will not use 1 map the ECU will keep on switching between Vanos_retard and vanos_advanced maps on both Ignition and fueling as the vanos is always there, and that was the reason i advised you to use the 403 ECU because you will have a wider resolution for both ignition and fuel maps without worries about vanos.

both ways you have all my Mechanical and tuning support. 8)
HyperBoost Tuning
Tony Ouneissy
Lebanon
thedean

Post by thedean »

aboutton wrote:Nice project thedean, and you are right non vanos heads with big cams can rev up to more then 8K actually i did make it rev to 8600 RPM with peak horsepower @ 8100 but i was facing clutch and crank pulley problems due to very small vibrations became dangerous when revving this much. ( that was NA engine )

and also i did a similar boosted engine :
GT37
non vanos head
S50 MTB with custom intake manifold
CatCam turbo camshafts
S52B32 cylinder
CP Pistons
ARP Head bolts
Carillo conrods
ACL race bearings
2000cc injectors
LINK G4 storm standalone ECU

the output was stunning, it gave 700whp on 1.8 bar of boost, now i have disassembled everything for the next crazy step, i am installing Pyramid rings and planing to raise the boost up to 2.5 bar ( crazy ).

now back to your original question :

Leaving the Vanos Unplugged will not put the ECU in safe mode and it will not use 1 map the ECU will keep on switching between Vanos_retard and vanos_advanced maps on both Ignition and fueling as the vanos is always there, and that was the reason i advised you to use the 403 ECU because you will have a wider resolution for both ignition and fuel maps without worries about vanos.

both ways you have all my Mechanical and tuning support. 8)
Tony,

What were the specs on the NA engine? What crankshaft did you use? I wasn't going to use any crank over 75mm because I was afraid of torsional vibrations with the bigger cranks.

Did you make the custom intake manifold yourself?

Also, did you like the Link G4 standalone? I'm debating whether to go with standalone or use the stock ECU. One of my biggest reasons for going standalone is for datalogging. Have you been able to setup the gauges/datalogging in tunerpro? I hate street tuning my car with the ostrich 2.0 without REAL datalogging. I'd like to be able to look at an excel file or graph and see EXACTLY what my AFR was at a given RPM, because I don't have my own dyno...

Also, again I will probably just wire in a resistor or just leave the solenoid plugged in for the vanos to trick it. The 403 ECU MAF can only go up to what, 300hp of airflow max? I plan on going into the 500-600hp range so I will need MAF options like the 803 MAF, or HPX MAF.
aboutton

Post by aboutton »

The NA engine was :
non vanos head ( ported )
S54 MTB with s54 intake manifold
CatCam 304 degree camshafts
lifter changed from hydraulic to solid ( homemade )
S52B32 cylinder with higher compression pistons
DME 403 ECU

as for the turbo engine, yes i did the manifold myself cz i have access to an aluminum welder.

As for the Link ECU it is fabulous High-Tech, i have been tuning and installing Link since 2 years now and i can assure everybody it is worth it installing 1
HyperBoost Tuning
Tony Ouneissy
Lebanon
thedean

Post by thedean »

How did you make your "homemade" solid lifters? Also, what was your output with your NA engine? Any dynographs?