Limit emulator download to XDF object addresses?

Submit feature suggestions for future versions of TunerPro here.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

festy

Limit emulator download to XDF object addresses?

Post by festy »

For ECUs with really inefficient serial protocols and/or slow baud rates, downloading the whole bin via an emulator plugin takes a very long time.

In some situations the emulator component could speed this up by only reading a predefined region of the bin that contains the cal and padding out the rest, but in my situation that still takes 10-15 minutes (the cal area is 50% of the bin - and I'm only really interested in about 20% of that anyway).

But to further complicate things, a few of the features I've implemented in my XDFs work by using flags to patch instructions, because the bins don't use cal-area flags to control program flow :(
Obviously downloading only the cal region would miss these...

What would make the emulator download process much more usable in this scenario would be an option for TP to only request the data at locations defined by the XDF tables/scalars/flags, rather than requesting the entire bin from the emulator plugin.
That way one plugin would work for all code masks for that ECU providing the correct XDF was loaded, and defining new XDF objects wouldn't require additional plugin modifications to re-define the addresses of interest.

Is this something that you might consider adding at some point in the future?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

10 to 15 minutes? :shock:

What emulator are you using?

What ECU?
festy

Post by festy »

Old Motronic ECU, no emulator hardware.